Monday, September 26, 2022

Story Tellers

Annamaria on Monday

Story tellers are a category of sculpture that originated with the New Mexican Pueblo people. This art form was invented by Helen Cordero, a potter, who--in 1963--was inspired by the work of her grandfather, who followed the Pueblo tradition of oral history and story telling.   And by the traditional tribal role of the "Singing Mother" - an icon usually pictured with an open mouth, who passes down the culture's songs and stories from generation to generation.




I first learned of these charming figures from my dear departed friend and mentor, Dr. Barbara Fass Leavy, professor of literature and champion of the literary merits of crime fiction.  It was Barbara's collection that sparked my interest in the lovely terra cotta statues.

As with any art form, the best way to get to know this one is to look at the works. I think, since we on MIE are storytellers and story readers, these whimsical representations will charm you as they do me.

Here are two from Barbara Leavy's collection that I am thrilled to say are now mine!  I keep them near my computer, so that I pass them on my way to my own story telling.  They challenge to do my best to make my stories sing.  

 



6 comments:

  1. :-) Those are great, AmA. I especially like the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s my favorite too, EvKa, of these. I like the other one that now belongs to me. It is made by a Pueblo artist, but it has a Japanese look to it, I think, and it reminds me of my dear Susan—the “made-in-America Japanese storyteller.”

      Delete
  2. Love these. I remember them from a trip to New Mexico years ago, Thanks for sharing and for the memories,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to bring back happy memories! AA

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you enjoyed it, Kwei. I like the many creative designs that artists invent. In researching about them, I came across storytelling bears and their cubs and an orthodox rabbi with his Yeshiva boys. All delightful!!

    ReplyDelete