Monday, September 19, 2022

Annamaria Alfieri (she, her, hers)


Annamaria on Monday



At Bouchercon, many people’s badges gave only their names.  Mine gave my name and my pronouns.  When registering for the conference, it was optional to list pronouns.  I make no judgments about people who declined to list theirs.

 

During the conference, a few people looked at mine and shook their heads. I imagine, to some, displaying my pronouns labeled me as an extreme leftest.  I plead guilty to the leftist label, but I wouldn’t ordinarily call myself extremist.  Perhaps on this subject, tttyou might think I am. I’ll let you decide for yourself.  

 


 Here are my thoughts about gender.
The first thing anyone ever said about the vast majority of us was “It’s a boy.”  Or “It’s a girl.”   Almost invariably, those designation came with a set of expectations about how we would live our lives.  Until quite recently, those predictions were very different for people  designated as “boys" or as “girls.”  What clothes we would wear.  What personality traits would be fostered in us.  What games we would be encouraged to play.  What roles we would fulfill as adults.  How much schooling (if any) would be offered to us.  What sorts of work we would spend our days engaged in.
In “developed” countries,  over the past few decades, women’s choices in these regards have begun to broaden.  In much of the world, they are still extremely limited.
 And, then there is the matter of what gender we feel we belong in.  And who attracts us sexually. 


 

Some people do not align comfortably with the expectations that came with their gender designation.  They chafe at having to wear what is thought of as the proper clothing for people in their assigned pigeon hole.  Also, for some, their libidos do not respond only to those of the opposite sex.

 


In Western "Civilization,"  for millennia such people have been considered unacceptable.  Laws have been passed criminalizing as “unnatural” behavior that comes naturally to them  Their own parents have rejected them.  They have been vilified by their neighbors and condemned from the pulpits in their houses of worship.  They have had to hide when they followed the dictates of their natures.  Many have been forced into painful and disgusting “cures.”

 

There are also some people whose gender is not clear at birth.  They have been forced into one gender or the other.  Typically, their parents were forced to declare what gender would be put on their birth certificates.  Until very recently, and still in MANY places, there have been only two choices when it comes to gender.  

 

But what of the those people whose genetics do not conform?  And what of those whose innate nature is not heterosexual? 

Must they be declared unacceptable.

 

Finally, there is strong movement against punishing people for needing to be what they naturally are.   To help along this  eventuality, some of us declare our pronouns publicly as a signal to remind us all, ourselves included, that a human being is a human being.  That we all belong to the same species and that we all deserve to be full fledged members of society. 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for lifting your voice in support of those who have none or the platform to be heard. No doubt you will get some blowback from this, but know that those of us in the margins appreciate it. I resolve to begin adding my preferred pronouns to name badges and emails.

    Dayna F
    she/her/hers

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been in p Town for the last few days. What a lovely mix of genders, lifestyles, pronouns, sexuality, cross dressing and everything in between. It was all rather fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great, Caro! P-town has been that way for as long as I can remember. The varieties of self expression!!! It’s a carnival. AA

      Delete
  3. Thank you for these words. I feel so strongly that all forms of such rejection are the worst sin. Those who judge and hate and think they have the right to punish gain nothing of any real value. Compassion is what everyone needs. Everyone. Annamaria (she, her, hers)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For years, I've been fascinated by the 'flexibility' of languages (and, specifically, grammar), and how many different ways a grammar might convey the exact same meaning, interpreted by the brain's "social programming," which is learned at the same time as the language and its grammar.

    Recently, I've been designing/creating an alphabet, script, language, and grammar (don't ask...) and it has only three pronouns with plural and possessive versions: one for I/me/mine (plural: we/us/ours), one for you/yours (plural: you/yours), and one for it/him/her/its/his/hers (plural: those/them/they/their/theirs/etc.). MUCH simpler, and so far, working well. It may lose some of the 'poetry' of English's variety (and asymmetry) of pronouns, but quite functional. Basically, 12 words: singular, singular possessive, plural, and plural possessive for each of first person, second person, and third person. Those can be made to cover pretty much all of the "human relationships" to things and people, angels and monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, EvKa, what a fascinating project. I hope you will teach the pronouns to me. I am still working on getting used to using they as a singular in ordinary circumstances. Does you invention completely neutralize gender. I hear attempts at such expression in news reports. Viz, when a person gets pregnant, they …..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, complete gender neutrality. However, the pronouns I've made up would be difficult to integrate into English. :-) It's the whole grammar thing, with built-in grammar expectations. Sigh.

      (In the following, I use 'oy' for easy English pronunciation, but the 'oy' sound is a single letter in my alphabet. :-) All of the stand-alone vowels in the following words are LONG vowels. There are six long vowels (counting OY as a single letter) and six short vowels. The syllables are (except for a few word prefixes and suffixes, as seen below) comprised of consonants followed by a vowel, making the words sound a lot like many native American languages, although that wasn't the original intent. The 's' letter is always a hard 's' as in Superman, never a 'z' sound as in 'cheese'. English sounding pronunciation at the end of each one...

      mo = I/me (singular) - Moe
      mot = mine/my (singular possessive) - moat
      mos = we/us (plural) - as in 'mostly'
      most = ours (plural possessive) - most
      moy = you (singular) - rhymes with boy
      moyt = yours (singular) - 'joint' without the 'n'
      moys = you (plural) - moist without the 't'
      moyst = yours (plural) - moist
      mi = him/her/he/she - my
      mit = his/hers - might
      mis = them/they - mice
      mist = theirs - mice'd (with hard 't')
      me = it - me
      met = its - meat
      mes = those - meese
      mest = theirs - meest

      (Originally, I'd lumped the 'it' pronouns into the 'he/she' pronouns, but have separated them out after all. I've been on vacation for the last week, so forgot that I'd done that. I've not yet memorized (and far from completed) the language, I'm still working on "sight recognition" of the script for the alphabet. :-))) A line of it looks a lot like barbed wire. :-)

      Whew. That was longer than I'd intended. Sorry 'bout that. :-) But, you asked... :-)))

      Delete
    2. PS. 'mi' is for living creatures, 'me' is for dead or never-living objects. So, humans and dogs and cats and microbes would all be 'mi', while dirt and water and dead bodies would all be 'me.'

      Delete
    3. Wow and Quadruple wow. A story is spinning in my head about a person—a spy master who does this. He needs, wants to communicate with his cohorts digitally in a way that no one will be able to hack his messages.

      Delete
    4. :-) Have at it, as that's not the direction I'm headed. Maybe a story someday, but no secret spymaster code. :-)

      Delete