Saturday, September 17, 2022

Inspiration on a Septic System Afternoon

 


Jeff–Saturday

 

We returned from Greece with one (or two) cracked ribs (all mine)—courtesy of an utterly horrid Athens airport lounge design, dead batteries in all vehicles, a septic system that gave up the ghost (among other things) after 35 years of noble service (with plumbing problems to match),  no internet or satellite TV, a scramble to finalize a film deal, a rush to complete Kaldis #13, and a major happy family event to escape to in Texas for five days less than a week away.

 

And yet, what popped into my mind as the topic for today’s post was a question every author is asked more times than we can count: “Where do you get your ideas?”

 

Many authors have a standard—often comical—reply. In fact, I’m certain my MIE colleagues would love to share their secret sources with you, so don’t hesitate to ask them that question the next time you see them.

 

During my time as an adjunct professor of English, teaching mystery writing, I’d often say that inspiration springs from the most unexpected sources, leaving it up to you, the writer, to recognize it for what it is and build your work upon it.  I’d then give a line or phrase and say run with it. Create your story around this line. Precisely how, when, and where you choose to use it in crafting your tale is up to you.

 

Earlier this afternoon, I was chewing the fat with my buddy, Mike, while we worked on my septic tanks (actually, he worked and I chewed), he gave me the best example I ever heard of the random sort of line capable of driving every sort of mystery-thriller from comic to hard core noir. 

 


 

Mike is a true professional when it comes to many things, but his vast experience with septic systems gives him a special perspective on what lies buried beneath the surface of so many families’ true day-to-day existence.

 

Curiosity had me asking him for his most memorable experience in the septic system trade.

 

Without hesitation he said, “That’s easy. I’ve had the same experience several times. Every time unforgettable.”

 

He’d piqued my interest. “So, tell me already.”

 

“Sometimes curious homeowners like to hang around when I’m dragging the concrete cover off the top of their tank.  Often, they’re surprised at what’s floating on top.” 

 

Mike paused for effect.  “Several times curious husbands have stared into the tank and said —coronets please – ‘They’re not my condoms.’”

 

Any story lines come to mind?

 

–Jeff

 

12 comments:

  1. Or it could be a body or two...
    Enjoy the family event and I hope the ribs aren't too painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael, the ribs are healing nicely and the granddaughter is all excited.

      Delete
  2. How weird is it that Alan's brother is having a new septic tank put in. In the grounds of the house, not him personally! After delivery, pre installation it sat above ground. He sent me a picture...'you could put a body in this.' I was happy to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about these 6'x6''x6' solid concrete boxes with a "manhole cover" on top that cry out for bodies. And if you want to get right down into a functioning one--literally--you might well become the next body in the box because of all the methane gas contained in such tight quarters. So think about it...killer puts wife in tank, 20 year later opens it up and descends to express remorse and ends up dead beside her remains!

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of a news item about a pig farmer who was finally convicted of dumping his wife's body into a septic tank, nearly 40 years after the event. https://www.irishtimes.com/world/uk/2022/06/14/uk-pig-farmer-89-got-away-with-murder-of-wife-for-almost-40-years-court-told/
    The weird thing is, he was a pig farmer -- surely feeding her to the pigs might have been a better option...? #CrimeWriterWayOfThinking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy, Z. You're right, of course, about the pigs being a better solution to the farmer's disposal problem. Perhaps he raised them on a strictly vegan diet?

      Delete
    2. Oh Zoe, ouch! I was reading this while having breakfast. Fortunately, my meal didn’t include bacon. But I may never be able to eat bacon again without wondering…. AA

      Delete
  4. Now I thought my blog post about my class reunion and the Bates Hotel would take the cake for this week's blogs. However, you have topped me! Your opening paragraph alone had me rolling on the floor laughing (not at you, of course, but because I could so imagine everything your described!) Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, to me your posts are always CAKE TAKERS. I love your gift for finding the perfect line for getting to the heart of whatever you're covering at the time. As for my opening paragraph, it reminds me how life is always a test of perseverance ... and the right handymen.

      Delete
  5. I hope your sore/broken ribs only hurt you when you laugh. On another note, this is the crappiest post you've ever written. :-) When you're leaving for an extended period, it's a good idea to remove the batteries from your vehicles. Left in, there is always some bleed off, thus the deadness afflicting you. In fact, in colder weather, bring them inside (basement).
    Have a great trip to Texas, Jeff and Barb. I've heard you can get your return flight free, if you don't mind going through Florida to Martha's Vineyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think the TX governor is in on the shenanigans, too...

      Delete
    2. Now that's funny, Dave--and without pain! Texas here we come. On the batteries thanks for the advice but in this case it wasn't inactivity. My daughter drove the Outback and my neighbor Mike the pickup. It was an electrical malfunction in the Outback, and a totally dead battery that could no longer hold a charge in the truck. It had become a jumpstarter delight.

      Delete