Thursday, September 7, 2023

Big Conference, Small Talk

Wendall -- every other Thursday

Like many of my Murder is Everywhere compatriots, I’ve just returned from Bouchercon, the annual international mystery convention that was held in San Diego last week. There, I was finally able to meet Ovidia Yu, Caro Mitchell, Michael Sears, and Stan Trollip in person and reconnect with Kwei Quartey, Jeffrey Siger, and Annamaria Alfieri. Everyone else was sorely missed. Our meeting for drinks was one of my favorite parts of the conference and I feel privileged to be a part of this group.

 

The "Murder is Everywhere" attendees at Bouchercon.
 

People who know me well might be surprised by this comment, since they know I’m not someone who’s comfortable in groups. I was never much of a joiner and have avoided, among other things, the Girl Scouts, sororities, group sports (except badminton!), and even Sam’s Club. In fact, attending my first Sisters in Crime meeting in Los Angeles was a huge departure for me.

 

Normally, I’m the person sitting by myself in the back row of the movies or at a panel, the one eating alone at the bar, the one who grabs a corner at a big party and only talks to one person all night. I will always be happier one on one with someone or listening to a spirited discussion at a small dinner party. The idea of a cruise gives me the willies and as much as I love music (at one point I owned 2500 albums and now have 19,000 songs on my iTunes), Coachella is my idea of hell.

 

Because I’m from North Carolina and was taught “a lady” smiles as much as possible, often no one knows that smiling is my default “deer in the headlights” face. According to my husband, James, these two pictures capture the range of my reactions to any party with more than eight people.

 

 

Somewhere between here . . .
 
  . . . and here.

Even as a child, I was always hiding away, reading or walking. When I first read this quote in Lillian Hellman’s An Unfinished Woman, I recognized so much of myself:

 

“Then, I would go back to my tree for a few hours of reading or dozing or having what I called the ill hour. . . certainly I did not mean sick. I think I meant an intimation of sadness, a first recognition that there was so much to understand that one might never find one’s way and the first signs, perhaps, that for a nature like mine, the way would not be easy. I cannot be sure that I felt all that then, although I can be sure that it was in the fig tree, a few years later, that I was first puzzled by the conflict that would haunt me, harm me, and benefit me the rest of my life: simply, the stubborn, relentless, driving desire to be alone as it came into conflict with the desire not to be alone when I wanted not to be. I already guessed that other people wouldn’t allow that, although, as an only child, I pretended for the rest of my life that they would and must allow that to me.”

 

One of my favorite "introvert" author memoirs.
 

Because of this push and pull—being an introvert who is lucky enough to have people in my life I adore—I have a complicated relationship with conferences, especially ones as large as Bouchercon, which this year attracted over 1700 attendees.

 

I love going to panels and seeing my friends—or authors I admire— talk about their work, I love meeting my fellow panelists, I love supporting friends who are nominated for awards. 

 

 

Chatting with wonderful author Jo Perry on the "Humor and Homicide" panel.

I really enjoy talking one on one with readers when I’m signing books. 

 

With one of my loyal readers at McIntyre's Books.
 

I even love Speed Dating, since it limits my conversations to two minutes on a topic I know something about. But the experience, overall, is always stressful for me.

 

 

Speed Dating with my husband for the first time. We survived!
 

The upside is that, if I’m lucky I can hide away “off campus” with a beloved friend or two. The downside is how ineffectual I feel the rest of the time. It’s because, frankly, I suck at small talk. I never know what to say to anyone I run into in the halls—especially when I’m trying not to be late for another friend’s panel. I have a hard time having a conversation in a loud bar, milling about in a reception, pushing through a crowd to say hello to an author I’ve always wanted to meet, or sitting at a table for twelve.

 

All week, I watched in awe as authors, agents, and readers engaged in happy, beautifully social behavior, laughing and taking selfies with twenty other people, while I floundered. I worried that people who said hello to me in the hallways or elevator thought me horribly rude, while in fact, I was just panicked. I had no idea what to say to anyoneI didn’t know well and ran into more than three times.

 

So, to all the readers and authors I passed by or missed,  know I love and appreciate you all and I hope, under the tutelage of the Murder is Everywhere crew, I can be a bit more socially adept the next time we meet!

 



 

 

24 comments:

  1. Wendell, after reading this post, I love you even more. You express many feelings I have in large group settings away from home. I missed this convention but look forward to hang out with you at more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Sujata, thank you! I was afraid I might be "oversharing." Yes, we will find a corner. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. WENDALL: I also have conflicted feelings about going to Bouchercon. With 1700 attendees and running over 5 days, San Diego's Bouchercon was a big one!

    It was WONDERFUL to see you and James at the Author Speed Dating event (thanks for using my photo!) and a few times in the hallways/book room.

    But as an introvert for you, I also needed to decompress and alone time each day. That's why I left the Marriott to get lunch or happy hour app/drinks on my own.

    So I am happy to go Bouchercon & Left Coast Crime, but I am exhausted (in a good way) every day I am there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, so many typos & grammatical errors in my post, but I am sure you got the gist!

      Delete
    2. Grace, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I actually went and had lunch alone, and also one with a friend at Sally's next door, just to have a break. Thanks so much for the photo, seriously, and for all your support, always. Seeing you is always one of my highlights and it was especially great to have you on a panel this time!

      Delete
    3. No, no worries. I had to go back and fix two in the post after I read it in the email this morning. We are human!

      Delete
    4. THANK YOU so much for coming to Dru Ann & friends Saturday 7:30 am panel. We really appreciated seeing your friendly face in the room, and your support!!!

      Delete
    5. Wouldn't have missed it for anything! It was one of the best ones, IMHO.

      Delete
    6. You're so kind. I did get positive feedback from other attendees. DRU being Fan GOH was the impetus but I hope that future Bouchercons will consider adding a readers panel.

      Delete
  4. My other half has a saying. 'I only have so much gold.' Ie only so much energy he can give to other people before he needs to recharge, or decompress. Some situations use more gold than others, some people use up more gold than others!

    ReplyDelete
  5. To me (and Barbara) you're absolutely gloriously perfect in every way. No reason to change a thing. We love you just the way you are.....now if only Barbara could say the same thing about me. :) --Dare I need sign my name for you to know who this is?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! You're too kind, but I will take it! Loved seeing you and please tell Barbara that our conversation was one of the perfect moments of the conference for me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. great pic of you all at Bouchercon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry I didn't get to meet you there, Craig! David Magayna kindly took our "group selfie."

      Delete
  8. You were totally warm and charming! I'm bad at groups and gatherings too, but it was lovely to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very kind, Ovidia! It was easy to connect to you, of course. Strangers? Not sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, wow, my sweet friend, am I ever on the same page with you. That "smile" that is deer in the headlights - did we all learn that? I much prefer small groups, intimate chats, being alone and reading or writing. I thought I was the only one. Now I don't feel so weird. LOL Thank you for exposing yourself to the world in this blog. Love your courage. ~ Daryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Daryl. Very kind of you to post!

      Delete
  11. Beautifully written, and believe me, I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very kind of you to say, Richard. Thank you and with any luck you and I won't have to venture out for awhile!

      Delete
  12. I was very happy to meet you and appreciated your help in tracking down your husband for book signing. Also loved your speed dating speech. Thanks for being at Bouchercon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran, how lovely of you to write. I was very happy to connect you with James and very much appreciate your kind words about speed dating -- always a risk!

      Delete