Monday, April 18, 2022

A Flower is a Lovesome Thing

 Annamaria  on Monday



My title today comes from a song by the incomparable Billy Strayhorn.

I am writing on a beautiful Easter Sunday morning, and despite the news reports, I cannot bring myself – with sunlight streaming into the room - to think about, much less write about dark things.  There will be time for that another day.  This lovely day is for beautiful thoughts.

I love the springtime and flowers especially - joys not even allergy attacks can dispel.  Time was that I had an outdoor garden that I loved. I delighted in Saturdays dressed in rags, getting all dirty, digging, planting, and weeding.  The result looked like this:









The time for such delights passed, and for ten years now, I have been only an indoor gardener.  It's rewards also come in the springtime:










The beautiful city that surrounds me also bursts back to life with the spring:









This year, though, my favorite magnolias (also called tulip trees) budded in a March warm spell.  When the temperatures then sank into the low twenties (minus 5C), the promised pink blossoms died:

I feared we would never again see the glories of how they used to look in full bloom:


Mother Nature has, in the past week, now bestowed hope.  Lovely green leaves have emerged from the wreckage wrought by climate change:




And hope springs that next year we will have our beauteous sights again.



Listen to Billy Strayhorn's haunting pean to Nature's wondrous gifts.  And hope along with me.


6 comments:

  1. No matter what the times may bring, Sis, you'll always be my shining flower girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bro. I am glad my role in the family is secure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, EvKa. And there is the voice of Ella Fitzgerald and Billy Strayhorn’s words and music. This planet has so many things to rejoice in.

      Delete
  4. How apt, Annamaria! I have been admiring all the blossom in the garden this weekend and I almost posted about the same thing. You have, of course, covered it far better than I could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not better, Zoe. Mine are citified. I would love to see yours.

      Delete