Monday, October 16, 2023

Veracity in Historical Fiction Redux

 Annamaria on Monday

I have been working on the blog for today for some time, in the knowledge that right now, I would be on deadline with page proofs.  My original intention was to talk about a rabbit hole I fell into while researching Invisible Country, my novel that takes place in Paraguay against the background of the War of the Triple Alliance (1865-1870), also known as the Paraguayan War.  I hope to take up at some future moment the story of the influx of Nazis into Paraguay in the aftermath of WWII.  

But with the the whole world in the uproar over the horror of Hamas's brutal attack on Israel and in its aftermath, the dreadful harm done to innocent Palestinians, I don't think my intended topic is at all appropriate at this moment.  I will save what I have already written for another day, when talking about Nazi history will not be as intensely disturbing as it seems it would be today.  Instead, I am reposting something that I fear is not as engaging, but also not at all hurtful, since for many of us these days are more hurtfulness than we can bear. So here are some philosophical musings from nine years ago on truth and fiction in historical novels.

  

In a few weeks I will be attending the Historical Novel Society Conference in London.  Without a doubt, the conferees will take up the question of how strictly the historical novelist must cleave to the truth of a story’s historical background.  There will be next to no agreement on this point.



Some people at the conference will say that a novelist must never stray from the truth; not even, for instance, to write a scene under the full moon, if there was only a half-moon on the specified date 1567.  I was once on a panel with a woman who began her story with a fourteen-page explanation of just how the story she was about to tell departed from even the minutest facts of the case.  These purists look down their noses upon any writer who takes any liberties whatsoever with what the history books say.



On the other end of the spectrum, are those who take whatever liberties they like.  Some even write alternate histories from the ones we all know.  Books and movies that posit a world where the Nazis won World War II or the South won the American Civil War.  Writers like these, as you can imagine, also feel no compunction whatsoever about completely changing the characters and deeds of historical figures.


  

I fall somewhere in between on this continuum.  Actually, I don’t see myself as a historical novelist, per se.  I am a mystery writer who sets her stories in historical backgrounds.  I know this because I feel at home, among my own tribe, when I am with mystery writers.   This is not necessarily the case when I am with historical novelists.   At HNS conferences, people walk up and ask, “What period do you write?”  “Tudor England” or “Regency England” or “Renaissance Florence” would all be good answers.  My truthful answer: “I don’t write only one time and place” draws frowns, at best, usually annoyance—both from other writers and from readers.

Being a mystery writer at heart, what is most important to me is the story.  If the story requires a night scene under a full moon, it gets it regardless of the planetary alignments at that moment, shocking as that may be to some.

History’s enigmas are what most appeal to me.   No one actually knows what happened to the Alcalde of Potosi’s vast fortune in silver that he stashed away during the King’s investigation of counterfeiting, in 1649.  Nor what happened to the national treasure of Paraguay during the War of the Triple Alliance in 1868.   City of Silver and Invisible Country offer plausible answers to both, but the stories are whodunit’s.  I knew full well while writing them that the average American would have no idea that those treasures were ever lost, much less never found.

Historians are still arguing over what role Evita played in Peron’s return to power during the most dramatic week in Argentine history.   Some say she did nothing because she was powerless until that time.  Others say she did everything, and offer as proof all the power she wielded after the fact.  I love this sort of thing and made a sideline to my story portraying her as a powerless woman who nevertheless found a way to turn the tide in Peron’s favor.

Which brings us to what people think are the rules for introducing real people into historical novels.  There are no real rules, of course.  The writer decides.  But some critics and readers will reject a work if it does not conform to what “history says” about the person.  My problem is whose history are we reading and when?  If you are over forty, you have seen the assessment of historical figures change in your lifetime.  Jimmy Carter.  Richard Nixon.  Need I say more?



I will give the last word on this to the great writer I quoted at length here a couple of weeks ago—John Fowles.  Here is a paragraph that comes a little after what I quoted then.  It answers the question about how novelists should deal with historical figures:

From The French Lieutenant’s Woman, Chapter Thirteen

“But this is preposterous?  A character is either “real” or “imaginary”?  If you think that, hypocrite lecteur, I can only smile.  You do not even think of your own past as quite real; you dress sit up, you gild it or blacken it, censor it, tinker with it. . . fictionalize it, in a word, and put it away on a shelf—your book, your romanced autobiography.  We are in flight from the real reality.  That is a basic definition of Homo sapiens.”

  The defense rests.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us of these issues. Probably the least interesting part of history are the minor "facts".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. I could not agree more. Much as I love it now, when I studied history in school, I found it tedious in the extreme. Facts I had to memorize. Once I put characters I care about into the mix, those "truths" come with consequences for the people with boots on the ground in the story!

      Delete
  2. Syncronistically, not too many moments ago, I saw a headline for an article that basically stated, "All Your Photos Are Fake." Which is absolutely true, whether the 'photos' are centuries-old oil paintings, some form of 'film' photography, or modern highest-definition digital photographs. They're all ATTEMPTS at capturing a moment in time, and they all succeed and fail to differing degrees.

    The same may be said for EVERY written account, however academic, journalistic, or fictitious. The only thing that is 'true' is this VERY MOMENT, as we create it, and even that isn't TRUE, because our senses and thoughts are just representations of 'truth.' (We're getting deep now... :-)

    So, folks are welcome to criticize (or not) according to their own standards, but it boils down to those all being opinions, and you know the simile about opinions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive me, if I am repeating something I have already said to you EvKa, but I have been attacked by "real" historians (the kind with PhDs) for trivializing "truthful" history by putting into a novel. To me, on the other hand, what I am doing is getting readers interested in history that I find fascinating. Oh, Well.

      Delete
  3. An excellent article. I fall in the middle ground with you. I love writing about the politics of late colonial India, but I would not put Mahatma Ghandi having a cup of tea and conversation with my character in my 1920s novels. It would be outrageous to speak for him. However I would mention that the barrister (who much later became a nation's founder) Muhammed Ali Jinnah gets involved on the periphery of one of my book plots--but again, not speaking words. Perhaps I care so strongly about not putting false words in someone's mouth because I'm a former journalist.

    Annamaria, you have so much wisdom. I love your writing. And our readers are not that fixated on the historical character choices we make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to look at novels or fiction in general as something similar to visual art. Unless we are deeply into realism, and even photography cannot gives us realism... then a work of visual art (a painting, collage, sculpture, etc) is not about how "truthfully" it recreates reality. It's about taking bits and pieces from reality (or what WE SEE as reality) and re-assembling those bits creatively into a collage that is something new. So when I read historical fiction, I don't expect it to be telling me facts. If I want facts, I'll read non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I once heard the late Stuart Woods say at a book event in which a member of the audience pointed out how he'd taken liberties with the setting of some building in her home town, "Madam, I write fiction." Jeff

    ReplyDelete