Saturday, October 14, 2023

It's Been Quite a Week

 


Saturday–Jeff

 

I am a firm believer in facing up to reality and finding a way for making it work for you when things don’t go as you’d like.

 

This week has tested my faith in that philosophy.

 

First, on Sunday my friend lost the election for mayor of Mykonos.  But that was a week ago, and Greeks are largely practical people, so by today all but the most vendetta-laden partisan fires have cooled. Now it’s a matter of finding a way to keep the ship of state on course to the promised land—as in election promises––while its new crew members jockey for prime positions aboard the upcoming sail of the new government (hopefully not a phonetic pun).

 

While back in the United States, the Senate and House of Representatives allow a tyranny of the few to paralyze Congress as our democracy battles existential threats nigh as hellish as any the country has faced before. 

 


But above all else, my mind is caught up in an endless loop playing out thoughts and images of what happened last Saturday, continues today, and no doubt will intensify for the foreseeable future.  I have no words to describe what happened in Israel.  Nor do I need any, for they have all been said by world leaders and the suffering victims and families caught up in it all.

 

Nor do I need to curse those responsible, for they have cursed themselves…whether they appreciate that yet or not, they have.

 

On a purely personal and selfish level, I thank God for the role the Almighty played in keeping my son-the-rabbi out of harm’s way.

 

For you see, last Monday he was scheduled to leave the US as the co-leader on a trip to Israel for two dozen elderly congregants. Had the trip begun a few days before, or the massacre launched a few days later… I dare not wish to think about it.

 

There is no moral equivalency between Greece’s local elections, America’s Congressional melt down, and Hamas’ cowardly brutal pogrom other than that they all happened in the same week, and may the good Lord help us through each challenge to a better place.

 

Yair Lapid

That said, here is an extraordinary speech given some years back by Yair Lapid, a former journalist and the current head of Israel’s centrist party, that is as powerful an explanation of why Israel is as it is…and shall not change…as I’ve ever heard.

 

 


 

–Jeff

 

 


9 comments:

  1. I'm comforted knowing your son is out of harms way for the moment. The emotional pain is another issue. We all suffer, as humans, at this time. Thank you for sharing this important video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, A. Yes, we all suffer and need to find a way through these times without losing faith in the caring nature of most of our species.

      Delete
  2. Jeff. Thank you for articulating the kind of stunned state this week has left me in, and I didn't even have the high local stakes that you had. I don't understand the world anymore and feel completely at sea in terms of what to do to help, besides send money -- to victims or to campaigns which seem the least venal. And author money is so little, that it really doesn't feel like much. So glad your son is safe and sending best to you and Barbara for a week and a world that's has a bit of hope in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stunned is indeed a fair summation of our current status, Wendall. As for what to do, donations of time and money will be most welcome I'm sure, but personally, I think the best we can do as caring folk is to let those in our respective orbits know that there are certain lines that cannot be crossed without consequences, and ask for all who care to raise their voices whenever and wherever they can. For when those who know better remain silent, humanity dies in their silence,

      Delete
  3. Jeff, first of all, I am so thankful that your dear son is safe and not in harm's way. Thank you for sharing this amazing video of Yair Lapid's speech which is nothing short of brilliant. I wish everyone could see this. All the best to you and Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Richard. I agree with your point on the speech. It's fantastic. All the best back at you from Barbara and me.

      Delete
  4. A clear and powerful speech that speaks not just to Jewish people, but to everyone with the ability to see themselves in others. Thanks, Jeff.

    As for Congress, all it would take is a handful of GOP members (unintended double entendre...) to strike a deal with the Democrats to make Congress functional again. But that would require a spine and the ability to see themselves in others...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree 100% with your point on the speech, EvKa. And also with your point about the state of Congress.

    Oh my, I can't believe I just wrote that! But if it's any consolation, I meant it. Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean, sure, it's probably good that I'm not there right now, but I was really looking forward to getting some more coffee from that place I love in Tel Aviv. Pray for everyone.

    ReplyDelete