Wednesday, October 11, 2023

KWEI’S MOVIE REVIEWS

There is a lot of good television--almost too much, and I watch a lot of it! So Ive decided to try something different with movie reviews every two weeks--at least for a while. The identical review will appear on my website, so please forgive the duplication if you’re on my newsletter. 
In my film reviews, I start with the benchmark of five stars and then deduct half or one point if the film falls short in any of the following categories:

  • Storyline Quality

  • Screenplay Excellence

  • Acting Prowess

  • Direction Precision

  • Character Arc Development

My inaugural review features the much-talked-about blockbuster, FAIR PLAY. 

Phoebe Dynevor and Alden Ehrenreich in FAIR PLAY (Image by Poe AI)

Fair Play Movie Review: Chloe Domont's Directorial Masterpiece

Debuting in 2023, "Fair Play" is an American erotic thriller that marks Chloe Domont's entry into the realm of feature film directing. The initial showcase at the renowned Sundance Film Festival generated significant buzz, eventually leading Netflix to acquire it for a whopping $20 million.

Cast Highlights:

  • Phoebe Dynevor as Emily Meyers
  • Alden Ehrenreich as Luke Edwards
  • Eddie Marsan
  • Rich Sommer

Set against the backdrop of One Crest Capital, a competitive New York hedge fund firm, the narrative follows the secret romance between analysts Emily and Luke. Their world undergoes a seismic shift when the firm's portfolio manager is abruptly ousted, and whispers about Luke's potential promotion to the position start making rounds. But, a twist reveals Emily, not Luke, as CEO Campbell's (Eddie Marsan) choice for the coveted position. The interpersonal dynamics and tension that ensue are gripping, with moments so intense that viewers might find themselves holding their breath.


Summary:

  • Storyline: Stellar and riveting.
  • Screenplay: Utterly captivating.
  • Acting: A class apart with performances that stay with you.
  • Directing: Chloe Domont showcases exceptional talent in her first feature film.
  • Character Arcs: While largely believable, there's a particular moment where Emily's actions felt inconsistent with her established character, prompting a minor deduction of half a star.

Final Rating: ★★★★½

If you're in search of a gripping thriller that captures corporate intrigue and personal dynamics, Chloe Domont's "Fair Play" is a must-watch trending in 2023. It promises a cinematic experience that will remain etched in memory.


7 comments:

  1. As a film professor, I especially salute this endeavor! There is too much out there and it's lovely to have someone I respect to help cut through the noise. This was on my TBW list, but you just moved it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Film professor! How marvelous. Any screenplays out there?

      Delete
    2. A couple, though I've been reworking most of them as novels. My current series started out as a script, as did the historical book I'm working on at the moment...

      Delete
  2. I saw the preview of it yesterday (or, rather, it was a single clip/scene), which was interesting, but didn't catch the mood I was in, so I didn't add it to my list. After your review, I'll rethink that. Thanks, Kwei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The trailer is an unsatisfactory representation because it’s “contextless” and doesn’t reflect the complexity of the film.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this, Kwei--I don't watch shows but I want to and your review's given me a starting point!

    ReplyDelete