Saturday, May 27, 2023

Mykonos Comes to Life

 



Jeff–Saturday

 

The past couple of weeks have not been particularly kind to Mykonos. I’m not just talking about the weather—which is now heading back to the sunny seventies (Fahrenheit; low 20s Celsius).

 

I’m referring to the rash of media attention it’s received from the Greek and international press. None of that should come as a surprise because fame attracts attention, and Mykonos’ fame as the world’s Number One celebrity draw and Mediterranean party island screams out for attention of every imaginable sort.

 

It’s even made the front page of the business section of The New York Times, with the headline “Mykonos, a Sinister Side To a Luxury Building Boom.” The story line reminds me of a book I wrote a few years back, titled, “The Mykonos Mob” (published in trade paperback as “Island of Secrets.”) – and of another I wrote five years before that, “Mykonos After Midnight.”

 

 

But I’ve no interest in getting into any of that today—or the optimism I sense among many Greeks at the results of this past Sunday’s Parliamentary elections.  I’ll leave those topics for another time…perhaps after Greece’s concluding round of Parliamentary elections set for June 25th. Instead, I’m offering up a selection of photos taken this week largely around old Mykonos town… plus some shots of (for now) deserted beaches. It’s meant to give you a sense of what things are like before the season begins in earnest.

 

So, here we go…welcome to the place I call home.

 


On the harbor-front old town beach


In the old harbor

On the new path from the Windmills to Little Venice



Little Venice


The Windmills as seen from Little Venice



Tourist Fashion Shop

Discerning Tourist Shop

Supermarket Wine Section

Yes, you saw correctly... 19,900€/$21,000

 A far better value




View of the new harbor

View of the True Mykonos Spirit that keeps me coming back

12 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff. The deserted beaches and quiet anchorages look very appealing – more so than the crowded tourist spots to my eyes. I can see why you find the place so attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Zoë, those moments remind me of the truly "good old days." Sadly there seem to be less and less of them to remember each time I return. Not sure if it's because there's less to remember or less I remember. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here you go, tilting at windmills again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing it (and you) tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, around 12:30 where your boat returns from Delos?

      Delete
  5. Hi Jeff. As a very new young bride we visited in tbe early 60s. I dont think it had been discovered then. We loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about when it was "discovered" by Jackie O.

      Delete
  6. Certainly looks lovely, Jeff. I confess I’m a little envious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the Mykonos Chamber of Commerce thanks you, Kwei. I know I do. :)

      Delete
  7. I love you, my brother. And I know I would love your home, if only it were full of ordinary people. It's so gorgeous. But i find the sight of $21,000 box of wine is vaguely nauseating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plus, of course, the cost of the chips/crisps to go with it. And, oh yes, that's likely before it's marked up by the club/bar/restaurant offering it for sale to its patrons.

      Delete