Monday, February 13, 2023

The Metaverse Is Unfair to Real People

Annamaria on Monday


Even b
efore I began to type this first sentence, the virtual people - the ones we call bots – had already pulled one of their annoying tricks.  Every week for years now I have chosen a nice dark shade of my favourite colour to identify myself at the top of my blog.  All of a sudden, today, my choices are changed and that lovely shade of green that I prefer is no longer available.  This is exactly the kind of treatment I am here to complain about.



And then before I even got to the third sentence, I noticed that the words "colour" and "favourite" were automatically changed to the British spelling.  Did I ask the Metaverse to switch to British just because I happen to be in Europe? No. I did not. Did it ask me for permission to change to British, just because I happened to be in a European country, even though Britain isn't even in Europe anymore? No. Completely without my permission, it not only took it upon itself to change my favourite colour, it also took the liberty of changing how I spell those words.



Also, when I am trying to dictate, it pulls another little annoying trick. When I dictate in the Western Hemisphere, and I say "period" at the end of a sentence, it puts in the punctuation I require.  Here if I say "comma" it puts in a , ; however, maybe it's just bad karma or maybe it wants to put me in a coma, but when I say – at the end of the sentence – "period" it puts in the word period period   I quickly found out that it wants me to pretend that I'm British, because I'm in Italy (??) So, if I want to punctuate the end of the sentence I have to say "full stop".  But you see what happens, when I say. It puts in a period period 


Another way the bossy bots of the Metaverse try to drive me crazy is that they often require that I prove that I an am not one of them, that I am a real person.  I must do this by proving I can tell the difference between a picture with a traffic light in it and a picture without a traffic light in it.  Then, I have to check a box that says "I am not a robot."  Then and only then will it let me do whatever innocent thing I had intended--like look upthe difference between "border" and "boarder."  The conclusion is obvious.  Since the bots have all the power, they would not want an ordinary human being like me to pretend to be one of them.



I've had enough of this for today period  I could go on talking about things like pop-ups and overlays period  And all those passwords that are supposed to protect our security and privacy when everyone knows that there are no such things as privacy and security in the Metaverse period  So I'm going to give up for now, and I really mean it I am coming to a.


 

14 comments:

  1. I feel your pain, Sis. It's the topic of my new book. No, not your pain...our exponentially expanding bot world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it’s going to be satire, Bro. As Mel Brooks said of The Producers, making people laugh at dictators is the best revenge.

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the stress but I have to admit your post made me laugh! (mostly in recognition--but that proves I'm not a bot either, doesn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia! You made my day! Laughter of recognition is exactly what I’m going for. Oh and by the way, I just said the word “period” and it put in a period. Either the bot in charge of comments is kinder and gentler than the one in charge of putting up a post, or perhaps allowances are made for comments by people who may not be in the same geographical location as the author. At any rate we will never know.

      Delete
    2. OH, Ovidia! The bots must be fighting back. They changed how I wrote your name. #$&$#@@#**

      Delete
  3. With you a thousand percent, Annamaria. I am taking a train on Wednesday and cannot wait to spend a few hours in my own messy handwriting, where my mistakes are my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy travels, Wendall. I hope you are not traveling on Amtrack. Unlike the advanced steady speedy trains I’ve traveled on in Italy and Japan, amtrack, rattles and shakes and bucks and bounces so very much that it is impossible to type on the keyboard much less write with a pen or pencil! I wish you happy travels and I hope we get to meet face-to-face soon. AA

      Delete
  4. LMAO, AmA. And pity the 'poor' young American woman traveling in Europe who wants/needs to discuss her "time of the month."

    Having spent the largest part of my life programming these simple-minded machines, I have sympathy for both you and the idiot programmers. It's devilishly difficult to think of all the special and corner cases... that is, until the programmer's forehead is impacted by their palm. We've come a long way, rarely in the 'right' direction, and still have a long, long (and zig-zagging) way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so glad you laughed. That’s what I wanted you to do,EvKa. Knowing your deep involvement in the field, I beg you to pass along a piece of advice. Please give the Brother and Sisterhood of Software Engineers this message from me: IF IT’S NOT BROKE, DON’T FIX IT.

      Delete
    2. Hah! That's where you're "failing to understand." In the software business, if you're older than 30, you're WELL over the hill. And, if you're younger than 30, EVERYTHING written a year ago is broken! New, new, NEW, NEW!!! Sigh. That's why I consider myself a "writer of historical software." :-)

      Delete
    3. I figured! Then there is the determination that we can make our_________(fil in the blank) application be all things to all people. The whizz kids get to work and then, what used to be—in Pleistocene age of programming—a nice comfy way of creating, let’s say spreadsheets, now it can do anything and everything for anyone who would ever want to use a spreadsheet for any reason. And do a lot of it automatically! Isn’t it a miracle? Even those two and a half people who want to add the square root of the national debt calculated in real time to all the values entered between midnight and two AM midnight Pacific time, can have it done automatically unless they opt out. Never mind that hundreds of thousands of users who can no longer use the app at all. Who cares if a bunch of old fogies can’t make the software work for them anymore. As long as they don’t unsubscribe, we can still collect their $39.99 a month. What’s important is how terribly clever we are!! GRRRRRRR!

      Delete
    4. :-))) Yes, good old Creeping Featurism (or Feeping Creaturism, depending upon your age and your bent), driven by two things: greed ("How are we going to get everyone to buy it again, every year???") and immature programmers ("Hey, wouldn't it be COOL if we...???") The 'greed' side of it shares the same problem with much of 'capitalism': grow or die. There's no such thing as a STABLE company, satisfied to just keep earning the same stable income. There ARE reasons for that (competition, eat or be eaten, etc.), but there ARE alternatives possible. Alas.

      Delete
  5. Been there, been driven to drink by that…

    Seriously, the increasing bot-ification of the internet makes me crazy.

    PS: Dear autocorrect,

    It’s never “duck.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I do have faith that humans will prevail. For on thing we can live without electricity and the bots cannot.

      Delete