Saturday, March 16, 2024

Fear and Loathing in the Cath Lab

 


Saturday Guest–Jonathan Siger

 

For those of you who may have wondered why I’ve seemed so mysteriously pre-occupied over the past ten days or so, here’s a post put up by my Hunter S. Thompson admiring son, Rabbi Jonathan Siger, to set the record straight. 

 

–Jeff

 


For many people, the sounds of modern country music in the background as a team of physicians wind a tiny wire through your cardiovascular system into the middle of your aorta might be disconcerting.  This, however, is Houston— and what’s more, it’s Houston during rodeo season. So, the sense of ‘everything is normal’ that the soundtrack provided was welcome, and most certainly a better choice than say, Barber’s “Adagio for Strings”, or probably anything my 14-year-old daughter would pick. “Let’s get the surgical team pumped up with some driving beats mixed with heavily distorted guitar and incoherent screaming.” No, in my experience, that is the kind of music you use for root canals, not heart catheterization.  

 


In any case, regardless of genre or mood, any musical choice would be preferable to the words I overheard a little over a week ago as I lay on a table under a collection of sensors and imaging technology, with aforementioned tiny wire snooping around the depths of my heart.  “Uh-Oh.”  

 

The next words I heard were “I want you to consult with a surgeon I trust” and “I am really glad we did this.”

 

The next morning, I sat in one of those towers I have visited often as a rabbi and chaplain in Houston’s venerable and venerated complex of hospitals and medical research facilities.  This time, however, I was a potential triple-bypass patient.  Despite the constant and consistent reassurance from all my doctors that this wasn’t an emergency, merely just really, really urgent, it all felt very much like an emergency to me.

 

And it was shocking even if it wasn’t a surprise.  I’d had no symptoms I’d recognize, only some general fatigue.  My desire to get checked out was brought on by a few instances of a rapid heartbeat that were easily explained by too much coffee, too much social media, and not enough sleep. Still, I have a very strong family history of heart problems that show up around my age, and so off we went for some testing. 

 


All my tests and blood work came back normal.  Except for one my cardiologist had strongly suggested that’s known as a “Calcium Score.”  It wasn’t covered by insurance, but he felt it was valuable because it can indicate problems that might escape the view of traditional tests.  That test probably saved my life.  A score of 400 indicates a high risk of adverse cardiovascular incident.  I scored 2800.  If you are reading this, consider having one done.  If it weren’t for that test, I would not have known the danger I was in.  God bless my cardiologist for pushing me to have that test.  

 

One of the advantages of family history is that it sometimes involves family friends or physicians.  In this case one and the same.   Thirty years ago, my father, the author of the internationally recognized, best-selling “Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis” series with #13, AT ANY COST, now available everywhere fine mysteries are found, was one of the clinical trial patients treated by NYC-based Dr. Jeffrey W. Moses. Dr. Moses has continued to work at the forefront of this kind of treatment using stents to clear life-threatening blockages where in the past (and even today!) many would use bypass.  And so, in keeping with the theme of “if it isn’t an emergency why is everyone working so fast?” I was on the next flight to NYC, where, one week on from the first catheterization, a team that specializes in high-risk stent procedures did their thing. 

 


It was a remarkable thing to experience these highly skilled professionals at the cutting edge of their field work together.  I did notice there was no music playing, and while I missed the “country top 40” in the background, I figured if a guy named Moses is operating on a rabbi, I could safely relax without it.  

 

It used to be I would come visit my father and he would make me stack firewood or carry bags of cement mix down to the basement of the farm.  Since I’m older now than he was back in those days, and I’m on light-duty for the next week, I figured the least I can do to help the not-so-old man out is write a blog post.

 


Jonathan–for Dad

31 comments:

  1. wishing you a healthy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dru Ann. He's on his way to just that, and for the record, there's a reason Barbara and I love you so!'

      Delete
  2. Tonette Joyce here. I have learned of you through your father, a most impressive man. May you continue in blessings and health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't matter if you take a lickin', the important thing is to keep on tickin'. Best wishes (to you AND your not-so-old man).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not-so-old-man here, EvKa with a big THANK YOU, dear friend.

      Delete
  4. Great that the story had a happy ending! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracious, Jonathan! Thank God for blessings and modern medicine! Donis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Dear Donis. Thank you on behalf of my son.

      Delete
  6. Lots of love and gratitude to father and son for taking care of business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a close call! I’m glad Jonathan is on the mend but his blog post is a powerful reminder of the need to share family history. It was knowledge of family history that resulted in further investigation and successful early intervention for me last summer. Continued success for Jonathan in his recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely big YES on keeping family health history in front of mind when health considerations come into play. Jeff

      Delete
  8. So happy he is on the other side of this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All good wishes to you for a speedy recovery, Jonathan, from your father’s only Sis! AA

    ReplyDelete
  10. We are so glad that you are both doing well. We hope your story is read by millions. We grew up with your family. You all have “big hearts” and glad they continue to have strong healthy beats. Yasher Koach

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too paid extra outside of insurance for this test as my numbers have increased compared to first time but not to four digits. It is on my mind, I take my meds and have a renewed zeal for life. Wishing Jonathon a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds like a plan to me. But I'm not a Doc.

      Delete
  12. Happy to hear that Jonathan is doing well. Years ago, my cardiologist told me that I have the"family history from hell" Glad that now there is a better survival rate. Should this extra test be taken prior to a heart attack?
    What is the extra test Jonathan had.? Is this a test that should be taken by people with scary family histories before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jonathan said that if he hadn't taken the Calcium score test, he'd have had no idea of the seriousness of his condition, because he did fine in all other tests. Jonathan's Interventional cardiologist believes every male over 35 and female over 45 should have a CTAngiogram --much the same as a colonoscopy is recommended. The logic being that far more die of heart attacks than colorectal cancer.

      Delete
  13. Scary times with a good ending. Whew. Carry on, Jeff (and Michael)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was great that Jonathan was able to receive quality medical care both with and without the musical accompaniment. Here's hoping for a full recovery. (Written while Eric Idle sings "Always look on the Bright Side of Life"...whistles...).

    Going to check into the Calcium test. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave, with or without Eric Idle, the Calcium test is a great investment...something that more and more doctors are recommending for men once in their mid-30s and women in their mid-forties. Thanks for the good wishes, buddy. -- Jeff

      Delete
  15. Oh my goodness! I'm happy you are back home and recovering. It is only when something like this happens when I realize there is an upper hand being played instead of mine. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Susan Gottlieb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Yes, he's back to his wonderful traditional self! Thank God. --Jeff

      Delete