Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Writing Standing Up--

 Ovidia--every other Tuesday

I know it's bad for people to sit too long but I'm also very aware I'm not staying on the computer long enough to get in all the writing I want to.

So in this year's 'lets prepare for a good 2024 end of year office clean up' I tried to figure out how to solve both issues--

and after I looked up the cost of standing desks, I rigged this up by shifting a shelf down to support my monitors, and commandeering a shoe box and stationery box to raise my keyboard and mousepad.

 I'm actually typing this standing up--the novelty hasn't worn off yet, so I'll say that so far it's great! 

I couldn't get a shot of myself using the set up, but my neck's comfortable, my elbows are at right angles with wrists supported and I'm quite pleased with the result.

I even got these to stand on--they're supposed to trigger acupressure points on your feet, 


but either my weight is too high or my pain tolerance too low and I find them too painful right now. 

Writing standing up will probably take some getting used to too, I'm giving it the first trimester of next year--

It's still possible to sit in here, of course--

 
And I the view out the window is even better while standing.


I was going to write about all my plans for the coming year, all I'm hoping to do/see/try/learn/move on from.

And then I learned that a dear friend's beloved husband of 30+ years just died. My first book was written for and dedicated to her but we haven't met up in years now--there was always something more urgent/ important/ interesting/ convenient

--but when something like that happens you realise how fragile the ties of life and friendship are.

I hope to remember to value these more as we move into the new year. 







10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan! Hope it works out really well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for you too--all the best for 2024 Michael!

      Delete
  2. Brava, Ovidia. Add to all the other benefits of a standup desk the avoidance of future troubles. Too much sitting down during Covid lockdown gave me spinal pain and forced me to get an adjustable desk. It is now what keeps me pain free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The above from AA

      Delete
    2. Ouch! I'm sorry to hear that, and very glad you're pain free now. I'm still getting used to this but I think it's going to work!

      Delete
  3. It is a terrible thing when reminders hit like that especially amidst admirable efforts to make the coming year a better and one. Kudos to your adaptability and hugs for you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'll pass your good hugs to her! All the best to you in the coming year too!

      Delete
  4. I've used a standing desk on and off for a long time. It takes my back muscles some time to adjust to standing after I've been sitting at my desk again. The best helper I have is a brick or heavy box that can put one foot on. So most of the weight goes onto one leg rather than on both. I switch it around periodically. It's a bit like the rail below a bar counter. I hope it works out for you - and all of the best over the festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll try that, thanks! I find I'm standing on one foot then the other and swaying from side to side without realising it which is kind of good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love my up-and-down desk. When the writing goes well, I completely forgot I'm standing. I like Stan's brick idea! BTW, I write in a large closet. No windows except in my mind! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete