Friday, August 6, 2021

A Lot's Happened This Week.

 


Jeff–Saturday

 

We in the mystery community have suffered another communal disappointment with the cancellation of Bouchercon 2021, set to take place in New Orleans at the end of August. This is the second year in a row that this granddaddy of mystery conventions has been derailed by Covid.  But with the indefatigable courage and determination of its all-volunteer Local Organizing Committees, Bouchercon shall move on and prosper.  The New Orleans Convention has been rescheduled for New Orleans in 2025, as planning is already well underway for BCON 2022 in Minneapolis, 2023 in San Diego, and 2024 in Nashville.

 


The disappointment we all feel at the cancellation is real, but it was done for the selfless purpose of protecting us all from the threat of a horrible pandemic.

 

I’m certain we all join in thanking the many BCON 2021 volunteers for their hard work and dedication to our community.  After all, there would be no Bouchercon without you!

 


But there is a second pandemic raging across our world.

 

Fire. 

 


As I type this on the Greek island of Mykonos, I see smoke drifting across the Aegean from fires on the mainland and island of Evia. Though it could also be from fires on the Peloponnese.    It’s reported that yesterday in Athens, the Acropolis was nearly obliterated from some vistas by the drifting smoke, and ancient Olympia remains threatened by fires.  But as bad as it is here, it’s said to be far worse in Western Turkey. And America’s West Coast is suffering once again. Our thoughts and prayers are with all at risk.

 


Now on to a bit of good news.  Condensed for sure—in more ways than one.

 

I’ve been informed by my publisher I may announce that my latest Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis novel (#11)—A Deadly Twist—has been selected by Reader’s Digest to be one of the four novels included in its January 2022 bi-monthly volume of Select Elections—published from 1950 until 1997 under the name “Condensed Books.”

 


That may not seem a big deal to you, but to this kid who grew up in working class Pittsburgh, where there was always a Reader’s Digest magazine to be found lying somewhere around the house, and most assuredly in every doctor’s and dentist’s office, this is a big time bucket-list achievement moment.

 


The big kahuna for Reader’s Digest fans was the hardcover “Reader’s Digest Condensed Books,” and whenever I saw one of those, the authors whose names appeared on the binding appeared like gods to me. To learn that my name shall now be on the cover of a Select Edition has me feeling as if my game jersey is about to hang in the rafters alongside some of my writing idols.

 

Unquestionably, there are far greater honors and accolades to achieve in this writing life, but at this moment, I’m experiencing a childhood dream come true; one that has me tingling at the thought I’m about to join a pantheon of my heroes…albeit an abridged one. 

 


If only Mom and Dad could see me now.

 

–Jeff

 

Jeff’s upcoming events

Wednesday and Thursday, August 11& 12
Fish & Olive Gallery—Halki, Naxos Island, Greece
European presentation of A Deadly Twist on the island where it is set
Learn more

18 comments:

  1. Okay, as another one of those kids whose introduction to the adult literary world was Reader's Digest Magazine and those wonderful books, I can tell you that your announcement thrilled me! Congratulations!! Hang that jersey proudly!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie. I must admit it was a "pinch me" moment.

      On a far more significant matter, I hope you and Joel are safe from the fires in your "stone house on the hill" in the Peloponnese.

      Delete
  2. It IS a very big deal, Jeff. Hearty congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. It really hit me in a way I never expected...coming as it did out of nowhere.

      Delete
  3. Oh Jeff! Congratulations! I was always a subscriber to Readers' Digest and I think it is awesome that one of your childhood dreams are coming true! You are more than worthy! Well done! And many many more to come...❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Skye. You've always been supportive and I truly appreciate you for that!

      Delete
  4. RAH! RAH! RAH! HooooooooooRAYYYYYY! Very happy for you, my friend (but very sorry you're having to cut your trip short).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EvKa, but it just seems these are the times for abridging what we like most. :) Stay safe, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Jeff, I remember this Pittsburgh lad reading Cornelius Ryan's The Longest Day in a Reader's Digest Condensed Book and I absorbed every bit of the drama and history that occurred during the Normandy invasion. I'm sure Andreas Kaldis and his compatriots shall be just as "deadily" twisted in your abridgement. Congratulations. Whatever will you do when that bucket begins overflowing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Dave. I can just see you there, just barely out of the cradle, devouring the book. As for Andreas's fate, I'm certain it's in the right hands. On the subject of my bucket, I'd far prefer it overflowing than to kicked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness! I practically learned to read with Readers' Digest condensed books. Congratulations indeed - you have risen to Olympian heights (may they remain unburned)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donis, your writing never ceases to make me smile at its subtle humor and general sense of things. Now I know why: We were raised as if siblings. :) Stay safe and best to Don.

      Delete
    2. I'm very happy for you Jeff. I've never subscribed to the Readers Digest but I have certainly read many of them in Doctors & Dentists waiting rooms over the years and have enjoyed them immensely as they have taken my mind off of the painful session ahead. Congratulations.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Terry. It's great to think that I may in some small way be contributing toward lessening the pain in our world. :)

      Delete
  8. Oh gosh Jeff. I arrive Naxos 13 Aug and will miss your appearance up in Halki. Cheers and welcome anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tottie. You were missed, but it was a great two nights.

      Delete
  9. I have been so bummed out by the cancellation of Bouchercon that I thought nothing could snap me out of it. But your good news just did. Kudos! I am kvelling over you, my brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sis. We're still headed back to NYC, despite the bummer cancellation of BCON, so the upside is we'll get to see you IN PERSON. xo

      Delete