Wednesday, August 12, 2015

I'll be back...




So I have to take a blog hiatus. There are a bunch of reasons for this, some more tedious than others. But two are essential.

Unlike my first four books, my most recently completed novel is set in the U.S., and the book that I'm just starting to write is also set in the U.S.. I may not make my annual China trip this year, which s a bummer. I still follow China news closely, but I'm not an analyst—I've always felt that my most useful work on China is the observational stuff, the small details and anecdotes. When I don't go, I don't have as much to talk about.

The other reason is that I have to focus on a new book that's feeling pretty complicated, and I need to get a good chunk of it done in the next couple of months. I'm not a fast writer at best, and, well, I haven't exactly been "at best" the last couple of years either. The writing takes me longer to start, longer to do, and I don't have a lot of time to do it. I need to focus on the most important thing, the big thing, because I have a tendency to get easily distra—LOOK! SQUIRREL!!


I do hope to come back to MIE, and I plan on writing a guest post now and then when I have something to say that I think you might find interesting. For example, I'm right next to another country, Mexico -- I can literally be across the border in a half hour. This is something I really want to explore.

In the meantime, I have a book coming out in…a week. This is the third novel in the Ellie McEnroe trilogy set in China. I'm really proud of it. I feel like I've finished something big.


You can find out more about the book here.

It's been great fun chatting with all of you, even getting to meet some of you in person.

And to my blog-mates, you are some of my favorite folks anywhere. And everywhere.

Lisa…who will be back...


9 comments:

  1. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, we'll still be here. Distractions can be the stuff that keeps us sane through everything else, so don't forget to take time to relax and enjoy life. We're not here all that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to relax nearly as much as I would like, Jono. But I'm trying to get there.

      Delete
  2. I'll miss your periodic flash-dances across my screen, but wishes to your new efforts, and congrats again on Dragon Day, WONDERFUL book!!! Just remember, no matter where you go, I've got pictures of you wrestling with Tim...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DD's cover! And I won't say we'll miss you because I know you'll be back soon. Or at least you better be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to see you guys soon! Still not sure about Bouchercon this year but will be at LCC for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa, I won't feel sorry for myself as long as we have your promise of a return. We are ready to form a posse and find you if you don't show up to be with us SOON! Wishing that things work out just the way you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! Best wishes from the other wednesday-gay: Jorn

    ReplyDelete