Monday, August 3, 2015

Gone Fishin'



I feel as if I should apologize, but I am so happy about my activities this weekend that I cannot sincerely say I am all that sorry not to be spending several hours of it writing my Monday blog.  I really enjoy working on my weekly MIE essay.  I hope that shows.  But this weekend I am getting out of Dodge.  I will be escaping the Big Baked Apple for the beautiful Berkshires, in the company of lovely Barbara and Peter Leavy.  So I am hanging out the traditional sign and going to get some fresh air.  I don't think I will actually be catching any fish, but here is some photographic proof that I have  actually done so in my lifetime.

Me and my dad, the zen fisherman who taught me how.


My 35 pound salmon in Alaska!



Meanwhile back in New York City, here is what will be going on in my absence:

On Saturday evening, an artist is going to be projecting images of endangered species onto our beloved Empire State Building:



You can see more about it here:

New York Times Projection Report

By the time you read this, I hope the project's message will have garnered a lot of attention.  I urge you to heed it.

More soon on these and other subjects.

Annamaria - Monday

11 comments:

  1. I don't know... that salmon that was half as big as you, I can see you eating that. But the first fish... I think that was just a trophy fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two little trout, along with others caught by my dad and David, were delicious, EvKa. My dad found lovely young wild dandelions growing on a bank next to the pristine stream. I sautéed them in olive oil and sprinkled them with some bacon, and cooked the fishes in the bacon drippings. All with a chewy, crusty Italian bread. I wish I could have that lunch today.

      Delete
  2. Oh, nostalgia, so nice to go fishing.

    I used to go fishing with my father at Lake Michigan in Chicago and also in lakes in Michigan and Wisconsin where we vacationed.

    But we caught small fish and we would eat them. Never caught anything like a salmon.

    It was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I loved going fishing with my dad. He always took my brothers and left me at home with my mom, until I insisted that he take me. He was shocked and pleased that I wanted to go. I had many lovely times, following him along streams, imitating what he did as if he were a Tai Chee master, which in a way he was. I never fished in a lake. What did you catch? Bass, maybe?

      Delete
  3. The picture of the mantra ray is, as you guys would say, truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caro, everyone for that matter, go here and see the actual images: (including Cecil the Lion, Zoe).
      http://YouTube.be/OL6QGwGd7vg
      The voice over is flat but the photos are spectacular!

      Delete
  4. I see you're smart enough to only go fishing with handsome men...which means Peter fits perfectly in with your tackle! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bodacious men connected to this blog are one its delights for me, Bro!

      Delete
  5. Haven't fished for years. I think I should try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan, truth be told I only went a few times after my dad couldn't go any more. I do think of it longingly once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to go fishing as a kid -- well, we'd trail lines baited with bread wrapper off the back of a boat as we sailed along and mackerel used to throw themselves on the hooks with much abandon. Lovely cooked in oats!

    ReplyDelete