Saturday, January 27, 2024

A Frosty Reception Upon Finishing a Manuscript



Jeff—Saturday

Yesterday proved to be my lucky day. I've been working for a year to complete the manuscript for Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis novel #14 by February, and yesterday I did just that!!!! 
 
One of the reasons I've been so desperate to finish #14 is because the release date for #13, AT ANY COST, is February 6th, by when I must be on the road for my first all live book tour since pre-Covid days. 
 

Some might say that falls into the category of no rest for the wicked--or at least none for those who labor to create wicked characters.  But I got lucky in coming across this parody of Robert Frost’s great poem, “After Apple-Picking,” that I'd written a few years back under similar circumstances.




I wrote this little ditty in the throes of having finished a new book after more than a year in the making. My intention was to give the curious among you a window on how at least this writer feels at such a moment.  The feeling hasn't changed, nor has the fact that the writing doesn't become any easier.


Here goes…


After Prose-Picking

My long, two-sided draft is staring up at me, 
A heavenly thrill. 
Though there's a plot line that I didn't fill. 
What of it? And there may be two or three 
Characters left out hanging on some bough. 
But I am done with story telling now. 
A sense of something missed is not a fright, 
The grip of slumber has me drowsing off. 
Yet, I still see my laptop screen in sight, 
It’s as if I’m caught in an endless class, 
Filled only with words and no time for sloth.
Held captive to words like whorey and crass. 
My laptop crashed, though my draft got a break. 
And I was well 
For I’d backed up before the curse befell. 
Now I could tell 
What form my dreaming was about to take. 
Manuscript pages appear and disappear, 
From front to blessed end, 
And every speck of my thoughts showing clear. 
This author surely wants to see a break, 
But feels the pressure of another round. 
That will soon come from my publisher’s end, 
Of comments based on where my seller’s been.
Plus then a mound 
Of load on load of edits coming in. 
But I have had too much 
Of manuscripting: Now I’m overtired 
From the great harvest I myself desired. 
There were one hundred thousand words to touch, 
Cherish in hand, to sound, to let some fall. 
But all 
Those struck with worth, 
No matter if part used or spiked with stubble, 
I sent straight on to my word-mulching heap, 
For in such earth, 
One will find help with trouble. 
Such when thoughts seem asleep, if sleep it is. 
And words are gone. 
I don’t turn to the Bard for words of his.
I search through my mulch, for what lies thereon.
Frost covered and deep. 

—Jeff

Jeff’s Upcoming Events

My thirteenth Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis novel, AT ANY COST, publishes by SEVERN HOUSE on February 6, 2024 and here is the first stage of my book tour:

 

2024

All Live Events

Thursday, February 8, 7:00 p.m. MT
The Poisoned Pen Bookstore
Author Speaking and Signing
Scottsdale, AZ

Saturday, February 10, 2:00 p.m. PT
Book Carnival
Author Speaking and Signing
Orange, CA

Thursday, February 15, 7:00 p.m. PT
Third Place Books
Author Speaking and Signing
Lake Forest Park, WA

Saturday, February 17, 2:00 p.m. CT
Hellenic American Women’s Council
Lincolnwood Public Library
Author Speaking and Signing
4000 Pratt Avenue
Lincolnwood, IL

Wednesday, February 21, 6:00 p.m. ET
Mysterious Bookshop
Author Speaking and Signing
New York, NY

Friday, February 23, 7:00 p.m. ET
Mystery Lovers Bookshop
Author Speaking and Signing
Pittsburgh, PA

Thursday, February 29, 7:00 p.m. PT
Vroman’s Bookstore
Author Speaking and Signing
Pasadena, CA

 

3 comments:

  1. I wish your later books were available as audiobooks. The early ones were just great and I mostly listen these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Jeff, on two counts! Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. --and you finished Before February!! Love the prose-pickins!

    ReplyDelete