Sunday, January 1, 2023

Welcoming 2023!

 Annamaria on Monday

It’s 1/2/23 or 2/1/23, depending on what continent you are on!  

On Saturday night, like many others I think, I was grateful to 2022 for its beautiful moments, a few of which were outstandingly gorgeous!  But it also seems to have doled out more than a year’s fair share of hard developments, both personally, nationally, and internationally.  I was glad to say good-bye to all that!



Standing on my terrace in Florence on New Year’s Eve gives one a best possible viewing  of the festivities in the Piazza della Signoria, without the discomfort of the packed streets (to say nothing of the possible bacterial variants that we have all learned to abhor).

The show was entrancing: aerialists dancing on the façade, stunning projections turning the stone in to moving things… It looked like nothing short of magic.   

\

One of the aerialists seemed to be floating without apparent controls.




 At midnight, there was - of course- a countdown.





But then, the projections continued.




And there were fireworks and floodlights.  

For me, 2023 is off to a good start.  I hope it keeps that promise for all of us.

Auguri di Buon Anno!!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I hope it brings you joy. And that we will meet up after all this time. From AA

      Delete
  2. This was really lovely--thank you for sharing and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you could have been here in person. That would have doubled the fun for me. 🥳

    ReplyDelete
  4. Buon Anno Annamaria. Spero che il 2023 sia un grande anno per te. Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, Dave! Tanti, tanti auguri di un anno piena di gioia!! By the way, you are use of the subjunctive is not lost on me! (APPLAUSE!!!)

      Delete
  5. What a lovely way to welcome the New Year. Firenze! Best to you and yours in 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janet. Lucky me !!!! Sending you all me best wishes for 2023.

      Delete