Friday, August 1, 2014

A Brief Tour Of The Commonwealth City

On Friday night  we took a brief tour on foot of my home town. And very proud I was too. The friendly city for the friendly games. This is Glasgow, with its best pants on!



The train on the way in, sunshine over the Clyde

A deserted street, no traffic!

Outdoor eating!



Buchanan Precinct, busy with street theatre

Bring it on. Indeed!

He sat very carefully, knees together

These are the beautiful but effective anti terrorism barricades 
over entrances to stations etc.

And if you get lost, just follow the lines

In George Sq now, a disrespectful pigeon 

James Watt,  the steam engine man

paramedics on bikes, a Glasgow cop

We are here, in the big G

George Sq ticket centre

The queue for this bus was round the block

Robert Peel ( we are fond of our statues!)

George Sq looking at the City Chambers

The Hotel where I do all my interviews! 
It's right next to Queen St station where the Edinburgh train comes in.

Just to remind you! It's an offence in public.

George Sq looking NE, this was where they filmed World War Z.
This building was American for a fortnight.

A bottle of Buckie..... an empty bottle of Buckie
(an alcoholic delicacy....) 



The Cenotaph




There were loads of these....

And these



Burns!

The big G

The shop had loads of these left

But few of these

The slightly 'faster than the bike' response squad

Clyde the mascot

Street Theatre

interested spectator

uninterested spectator

Glasgow Central, bedecked in the Commonwealth colours

Going home

Caro Ramsay 1st August 2014

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Love the photos. Every time I read a book set in Glasgow, I feel nostalgia for the city, even though I've never been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One question: Glasgow actually LETS trains from Edinburgh IN?

    And one point of confusion: We're first reminded that drinking in public is offensive (er... an offence), and then two pictures later we have evidence laying upon the sward (see, I COULD have said grass or turf or ground, but I'm a LITERARY fellow) that would suggest lawlessness reigns in Glasgow. Surely, the law IS upheld in the deep north (at least, until it's been drained dry...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not LOVE a city that calls its river Clyde and has a Jim Croce look alike street performer...not to mention the statues. Did I mention the statues?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photos and what's in them. I think I could easily fit right into Glasgow life and the fun therein.

    Every time I read a book set in Glasgow, it feels like my kind of city, even when the book is full of murder and mayhem.

    ReplyDelete