Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Facing Peril: The Risk of Entrapment, Violence, and Extortion for Ghana’s LGBTQ Community

 Wed--Kwei

As I prepare for tonight's signing of The Whitewashed Tombs at Vroman's, Pasadena, the real-life stories that inspired the novel weigh on my mind. The Whitewashed Tombs deals with the murder of an LGBTQ activist in Ghana, a tale rooted in the harsh realities many still face today.

Yesterday, I conducted a video WhatsApp interview with Hamza, a young man living in Accra, Ghana, who survived a brutal assault because of his perceived identity. The episode was posted to Facebook. His story of resilience amidst fear and violence resonates deeply with the novel's themes, where truth is often buried under layers of hypocrisy and hate. As we reflect on these realities in fiction and life, Hamza’s story is a powerful reminder of the ongoing struggle for justice and dignity.


Hamza  (Image altered by AI for his protection)

                                                                            
                                                                          

Interview

KQ: Can you tell me a bit about your living situation?

H: I live with my grandmother in Nima, Accra. It’s not the safest place, but it’s home.

KQ: I understand you were assaulted in Nima. Can you explain what happened?

H: I was lured to a spot by someone I thought I could trust. Once there, a group attacked me. It was a vigilante pile-on. They beat me badly, and I suffered multiple injuries.

KQ: How has that experience changed the way you live?

H: I don’t go out after 7 p.m. anymore. I only go to places where I know I’ll be safe and where I might have some protection if something happens.

KQ: Do you think people recognize or target you because of your appearance?

H: Yes, maybe. Some people say I have effeminate airs. I guess that makes me a target.

KQ: Are you in a relationship right now?

H: No, I’m not in a relationship.

KQ: You mentioned being lured and blackmailed. Can you explain that?

H: Yeah, once, after I was lured to a hotel room and was having intimacy with a man, they filmed it and threatened to post it to Facebook and expose where I live unless I paid them money.

KQ: Despite all this, you seem pretty resilient. How do you stay strong?

H: I don’t have much of a choice. This is the reality of life here, especially with people’s attitudes.

KQ: Do you see any hope for attitudes changing, especially with the anti-gay bill being discussed?

H: There’s almost no chance people will change, especially with how religion plays into it. That bill is just making things worse.

KQ: How has the anti-gay bill specifically affected you?

H: Well, people jeer at me and say, “When the bill passes, you’ll see what we’ll do to you.” It’s a threat I hear often.

KQ: Did you report the attack to the police?

H: Yes, but they took the report, nothing would happen. I’ve reported it to Human Rights Watch, but their actions don’t have much power within our law and justice system. I don’t expect much to come of it.

KQ: What about in rural areas? Do you think the anti-gay bill has much impact there?

H: Not really. The effects are mainly in the larger towns and cities. In rural areas, people are more focused on surviving day-to-day. But in the cities, it’s a different story.

KQ: Do you think LGBTQ+ tourists are in danger of this kind of violence?

H: I don’t know of any tourists who have suffered such attacks.*


*There are accounts of tourists being entrapped and extorted for money or their mobile phones.



 


 







1 comment:

  1. This is so heartbreaking, Kwei. Thanks for keeping the issue in front of us.

    ReplyDelete