Monday, July 29, 2024

In Lieu of Blogging

 Annamaria Behind Schedule 

Ordinarily, I spend a major portion of my Sunday writing a blog. This is something I am glad to do, because I like the short essay form, I get to express my point of view on a lot of different topics, and when appropriate, I can draw attention to my published work. Yesterday, rather than writing a post for this Monday, I took myself off and had a wonderful time doing something else. 

My beloved Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival, this year, is proud to present the world premiere of Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, adapted by Heidi Armbruster.  It seemed as if two of my passions - crime writing and theater - were converging.  How much fun would it be to gather up a group of my fellow Mystery Writers of America - New York Chapter to go upstate and see the play together.  

And so we did.

Some of us picnicked together before the show:

We toasted crime fiction "on the page and on the stage!" 

While gazing at an unparalleled view of the magestic Huson River from the picnicking area:

 We then went to the performance tent for the show:


And afterwards, we had our picture taken with the great Kurt Rhoads, who played the whole world's favorite Belgian detective!

What fun! And you can enjoy it too:





The experience is worth coming a distance to enjoy!  It's an easy day trip from NYC!

Just fifty miles from Times Square!


5 comments:

  1. It was a great time! Thank you for coordinating everything and for inviting us! Fantastic venue, amazing views of the Hudson. The play leaned nicely into the comedy, dealt well with the copyright of the name of the Belgian detective, and ended on a surprisingly poignant note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. Thanks to you and Denise for the hospitality at you lovely home, the picnic fare, and all the wonderful conversation of the day.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for organizing! It was a fun day and a wonderful way to reconnect to so many great mystery authors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a wonderful time! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for joining in!!!

      Delete