Saturday, February 5, 2022

Why I'm Missing In Action Today

 

 


Jeff--Saturday

 

No, it ain’t Covid—thank God.

 

It’s a total knee replacement – thanks to the guy who clipped me on my left leg in a high school football game.  Still, I made a good many decades on the original equipment, even after pre-arthroscopic surgery did its thing to turn injured cartilage between two bones into absent cartilage, allowing those two bones to freely and regularly wear upon one another—aggravating in every sense of the word.

 


Okay, enough already with TMI.  Let’s just hit the bottom line to this mea culpa. On Wednesday, I bit the bullet and went in for a replacement part that would allow me to return to some level of my former self. It seemed appropriate what with Wednesday this year coinciding with Ground Hog Day in the US—a day for which Bill Murray helped coin a new meaning with his still popular film of the same name.

 


Everything went perfectly, as one would expect in the world’s finest orthopedic hospital with grade A+ personnel at every level.  HOWEVER, I’d forgotten that recuperating from surgery doesn’t always correspond with leaving your hospital bed all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (notice groundhog reference).  So, a few hours ago when I left the hospital, I realized there’s no way I could create the witty charming post I’d imagined regaling my adventure. And, so, you’re stuck with this. 

 

So am I.  The left side of the following photo is where I want to be, the right is where I am.  But that too shall soon change. I feel it in my knee(s).

 


Better luck next week, for us all. :)

 

Stay safe.

 

--Jeff

 

 

17 comments:

  1. Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow! I hope you feel better soon--that's all that matters! Please take good care of yourself. And so glad you got it taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Ovidia my sincerest apologies to you and all who wrote me such much appreciated notes of good wishes. Yes, even EvKa. It's just been a rough couple of days but now I'm back on my feet (so to speak)...in keeping with your admonition to take good care of myself. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Get that knee in shape so that we can hike some kalderimis when we finally get you back to the Mani for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, J&J, I can't wait to get back to hiking the hills of the Southern Peloponnese.

      Delete
  3. Oh, Bro! Another reason to HATE football. Not that I needed another one. More proof, as I hav told you in the past, that I know you are my brother. In my part of our immediate family, we have experienced 35 knee operations, including four transplants, not counting yours. Wisdom I’ve learned so far: Do the PT faithfully. And expect to feel it when they take you off the morphine. Virtual hugs is all I can offer for now. Osso buco next time we are both in NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the hugs, sis. On the osso buco, doesn't that involve a joint? Just saying.

      As for football, yep its a hard sport on the joints, et al, but so too can be skiing and other demanding physical activities. Thankfully, knee surgery has passed beyond the morphine phase of drugs--which is what I had on my first round of surgery on the knee. Am following your advice on the PT. Virtual hugs back at you.

      Delete
  4. Jeff- I hope it gets better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every best wish, Jeff. I'm told the game IS worth the candle. (This is relevant to South Africa right now where our power utility has once again caused a run on candles...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best wishes for a complete recovery, which it will be. Rest, therapy and repeat. We await your witty words for when your able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! I shall follow your advise to the letter...though the witty words may take a bit longer than the rest.

      Delete
  7. Oh, man, what a sympathy whore. You couldn't even include a photobomber shot. THAT'S who we REALLY feel sorry for. Can you imagine the nursing and pampering job SHE has ahead of her??? Hang in there Barbara, you'll make it! Let me know where to send the wine and chocolates to ease your work-load. Wine for the whine-bearer, and all that.

    Obligatory snark aside, Jeff, I remember reading a set of statistics quite a few years ago, but can't remember the exact statistics now, but it went approximately like: 25% of all high school football players will suffer an injury that will plague them the rest of their life. 60% of all college football players will do the same, and 100% (maybe 90%?) of all professional football players will do the same. I guess you were one of the lucky sort-of-few. Best wishes for a renewed spring in your step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you didn't wish me a "fall in your step." Okay, snark aside, EvKa, I feel those figures are likely right, but it would be interesting to see how many other injuries young carry over into adulthood unrelated to football?

      Delete
  8. Ouch, Jeff! Go easy on that knee, but at the same time, be assiduous with your physio exercises. I'm sure Caro will wield a long-distance whip and a chair to keep you motivated. My best wishes for a speedy recovery, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Zoë, and once again your advice is golden. On Caro armed with a whip and chair, is that supposed to be encouraging or discouraging motivation? xx

    ReplyDelete