Saturday, January 2, 2021

Something Different This Year

 


Jeff–Saturday

I thought of posting my modern take on the classic Auld Lang Syne poem by Robert Burns, as I do annually each New Year’s, but putting it up this year in these times, seemed too melancholy.

Next, I thought of posting details on this coming Tuesday’s (January 5th) re-release of the first book (MURDER IN MYKONOS) in my Chief Inspector Andreas Kaldis series, and urge you all to buy it (here) but that seemed far too mercantile.


So, I settled on sharing a list I received on New Year’s Day from European Union (updated version) friends describing twelve things to consider as we close the door on one of the most horrible years of our lifetime. 


 
1.     The dumbest thing I ever bought was a 2020 planner.

2.     I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone.  He asked me what I was wearing.

3.     2019:  Stay away from negative people.  2020:  Stay away from positive people.

4.     The world has turned upside down.  Old folks are sneaking out of the house and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!

5.     This morning I saw a neighbor talking to her dog.  It was obvious she thought her dog understood her.  I came into my house and told my cat.  We laughed a lot.

6.     Every few days try your jeans on just to make sure they fit.  Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.

7.     Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands?

8.    This virus has done what no woman has been able to do.  Cancel sports, shut down all bars and keep men at home!

9.     I never thought the comment, “I wouldn’t touch him/her with a 6-foot pole”, would become a national policy, but here we are!

10.   I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.

11.   I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to the backyard.  I’m getting tired of the living room.

12.   Never in a million years could I have imagined I would go up to a bank teller wearing a mask and ask for money.


Here's looking at you, kids.  May we all have a happy, healthy, productive, and reuniting 2021.

––Jeff

14 comments:

  1. Love it and all are too true.

    Happy 2021!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! And all the best to you in 2021 and far, far beyond!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friends, and may we see each other this year in Hellas!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Michael. That's why I look in a mirror several times a day. Stay safe!

      Delete
  4. I told this to my cat, but she said I should keep my social distance from her. I put on my mask and took a shower. Now I feel positive about the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the plot for a new Dr. Seuss book, Ellis.

      Happy New Year!A

      Delete
  5. Hahaha! That was funny. And clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to the Europeans, Kwei, to have a better take on us than we do of ourselves.:)

      Delete
  6. We can still laugh! That's a huge relief. Thank you for providing the proof, bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only in private, AmA, or when wearing a space suit near other people. Remember: a covid vacine is now the best medicine... :-)

      Delete
    2. If EvKa can no longer made us laugh, Sis, someone must step into the breach...

      Delete
  7. Another thing: Who would have thought one has to get dressed up to walk into the living room -- for a Zoom call?

    ReplyDelete