Thursday, January 1, 2015

Happy New Year!

So what’s the big deal? Midnight strikes (at different times in different places, of course) and everyone goes wild. The year moves up by one, the month reverts to January, and the day back to the first. Just a counting mechanism like when you flip up to 10 from 9. Yes, but it also means that this is now another year where everyone gets one year older.  So maybe a bit of reflection - looking back - and then a bit of contemplation – looking forward – and then a great excuse for a party!


Most African countries seem to join the traditional model – fireworks, parties, dancing – but there are some special celebrations. Here are a few:

In Luanda, Angola, you might like to celebrate with a traditional bolo-rei.


In Cape Town there is the annual Minstrel Carnival. Going back 200 years to celebrate the one day of the year when slaves didn’t have to work – actually it happened on the second of January
then – there are floats, parades, dances, food and of course wine. In Cape Town the morning after is the best part!





For new year’s eve, a concert with Mango Groove at the wonderful National Botanical Gardens (Kirstenbosch) in Cape Town, would be a good start.


Maputu in Mozambique. Some different fireworks.


Nigeria. Here the big feature is masquerades. People dress up in costumes – often as animals, some real, some mythical – and get on with the party!




As for new year’s resolutions, I don’t remember ever keeping one. For what it’s worth, I try to think about what I’d like to see happen in the year – achieve sounds pretentious and too much like a resolution – and think of a few things that might help that to take place. If this contemplation gets too serious, a glass of good wine is an excellent antidote.

All the best for 2015 everyone!


Michael – New Year’s Thursday

13 comments:

  1. Hi Michael, and as I'm currently in Tuscany, may I wish you "Buon anno!"

    I particularly like your way of looking at the coming year in terms of 'things I'd like to see happen' rather than achievements or resolutions. What a wonderful attitude. I shall adopt it forthwith.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just limited expectations. Not your style, Zoe. You should go for the BIG expectations!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely photographs Stan, reminding me what the sun looks like....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Stan, for pointing out styles of dress guaranteed to liven up any party. I particularly liked the courageous ear-hair look in the last photo...turning one's least becoming trait into a fashion statement.

    Ah, Tuscany, Zoe. I just spoke to a friend who opened a tiny hotel in Prienza and sent me envy inducing photos. Enjoy! And, Caro, dear, if you ever do forget what the sun looks like, follow this very simple step: Just look in the mirror. :)

    Happy New Year ya'll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeff, you've said it all! By the way, Stan is the tall, good-looking guy with all that hair. I'm the other one!

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that, MICHAEL, when my eyes read Michael at the end of your post my mind went to the next word that automatically comes to mind whenever I read Michael in a literary context.

      How was that for a recovery?

      Delete
    3. Very good! Michael Stan, the well known mystery author!

      Delete
  4. Zoe please mangia for all of us, and I, too, Stan and Michael, will think of the new year in terms of what I'd like to see happen and steer it that way. Caro, Vitamin D3? and to each and everyone bonne année

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this, Michael. These photos are so intriguing that I am thinking next year I ought to try to celebrate the New Year in South Africa, This comes under the heading of something I would like to see happen.
    Regarding resolutions, I have made few and kept even fewer. But I have one this year inspired by two facts: when I took out the champagne glasses on Christmas Eve, I had to rinse them because they had been collecting dust for a whole year.
    And I have long known that in his 90's John Maynard Keynes was asked if he regretted anything. "I wish I had drunk more champagne," was his answer.
    My resolution: Drink more champagne!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is DEFINITELY something that should happen! To help it along, I'll join you!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Murderous Ones!

    I, er, forgot to make resolutions. I think I'll go with Annamaria's...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So impressive article!! I liked reading this!! This New Year eve was just rocking and now I am planning to organize a huge Valentine’s Day party and looking for an event planning firm that can do amazing arrangements for my party. If you have suggestions then please share here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is good to know that you had a great New Year party. I also had a best nye party nyc for celebrating New Year and my party planner planned for everything with perfection and that is why all my guests enjoyed a lot.

    ReplyDelete