Saturday, August 24, 2024

What We at MIE Owe to Bouchercon

 





Jeff–Saturday
 
The answer to the question, "What do we at MIE owe to Bouchercon?" is simple.  EVERYTHING.
 
I say that because without Bouchercon there would be no Murder is Everywhere. You see, our genesis was a panel moderated by the late, great Leighton Gage at Bouchercon 2009 in Indianapolis, through which seven renowned mystery writers from around the globe, united in common cause and dissolute bar behavior, created MIE. 

Yes, but for “Bouchercon: The World Mystery Convention,” Leighton, Cara Black, Tim Hallinan, Michael Sears, Stanley Trollip, Dan Waddell, and Yrsa Sigurdardottir would not have come together to form MIE and given those of us who now follow in their footsteps a place to welcome our readers.
 
As many followers of MIE already know, Bouchercon is a completely volunteer, fan-driven organization that each Fall offers all segments of the mystery world the big daddy of opportunities to band together in a different locale for four days of nothing but crime.  
 

Nashville

This year it’s taking place August 28–September 1, 2024 in Nashville, Tennessee in what’s billed as the “Murder and Mayhem in Music City” version of camaraderie among the crime writing community.  And by community I mean fans, writers, editors, publishers, agents, and booksellers of every crime writing genre, participating in a plethora of panels and special events embracing virtually all aspects of the mystery world. 

It’s a family reunion-like atmosphere filled with up close and personal opportunities to interact with all who attend. Everyone is approachable, fair game for striking up a conversation or perhaps even sharing a meal.  After all, authors come to Bouchercon to interact with fans—and, of course, the legendary bar scene.   


Even if you don’t drink, the Bouchercon bar scene is an experience not to be missed, for that’s where everyone comes together in late night revelry, and even later night shared confessional moments among folks who just hours before were but perfect strangers.


Which brings me around to my own life-changing Bouchercon moment.  Drum roll please.  It takes place a dozen years ago at Bouchercon 2012 in Cleveland.  

To set the scene, think of the urban legend about an innocent rube who walks into a bar in a Mexican border town, meets three enthralling beauties, and wakes up the next morning in a bloody bathtub missing a kidney. 


Now, back to Cleveland.

As innocent as a new borne babe I strolled into the convention hotel’s bar and noticed three ladies sharing a booth. Not wanting to be rude, I smiled and said hello.  They lured me over by smiling back.  We fell to talking (and drinking) and before I knew it they’d pried my past right out of me—down to the part about being a former New York City lawyer involved in various pro bono organizations.  Here comes the kidney part: The next day I woke up and found myself nominated for a position on Bouchercon’s National Board.


At least I still had my kidneys.  Okay, all kid(ney)ing aside, I found myself in a “what-am-I doing-moment” for I’d consciously opted to exchange the responsibilities I’d felt as a lawyer to any organization I served, for the solitary (not lonely) independent life of a writer.  Now I was back on a board. 

But a strange serendipity came to pass: I found satisfaction in a way I never expected; for Bouchercon allowed me to give back to the mystery community a measure of thanks for all the good fortune I’d found through the writing life, and brought me many new wonderful friends in the process. It also brought me the great honor of spending five-years on the Bouchercon Board, two of which as its Chair.

And speaking of friends, at the top of the list sits the three ladies from that Cleveland bar who will forever have a place in my heart but whose names shall never pass my lips, unless of course, Ingrid, Karen, and Sue allow me to do so.

See you all in Nashville at Bouchercon 2024.  You can also find information about programing, attendees, how to volunteer, and much more at this link.

By the way, a tradition around here is that during Bouchercon week we get to put up our favorite golden oldie of a post in order not to be distracted from all the wonderful events happening during Bouchercon Week.  Mine will go up next Saturday.
 
––Jeff
 

Jeff’s Event Schedule

 

Bouchercon 2024, Nashville TN

Gaylord Opryland Resort & Convention Center

 

Thursday, August 29, 2024 @ 9:30-10:20 AM

Room: Canal E

Marrakesh Express

(Solving Crimes in Foreign Settings – Program ID 32)             

Pip Drysdale

Ragnar Jonasson

Mary Monnin             

Kelly Oliver

Jeffrey Siger

Mark Coggins – moderator      

 

Friday, August 30, 2024 @ 8:00-8:50 AM

Room: Canal CD

Sunday Bloody Sunday

(Crime Fiction as Social Commentary – Program ID 99)

Michael Bennett

Lisa Black

Julie Carrick Dalton

Robert Rotstein

Jeffrey Siger

Stanley Trollip - moderator


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jeff, for those five years of Bouchercons we all enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have a wonderful time in Nashville Jeff. I loved hanging out with you at my first-ever BOuchercon in Toronto in 2017. Hopefully I'll make it back soon - perhaps Calgary in 2026 if not next year. have a great week/weekend

    ReplyDelete