Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Wandering Spirits and Ghostly Gatherings (& missing Bouchercon)

Ovidia--every other Tuesday
It's Bouchercon Week! Even though I’m not anywhere near Nashville, I already imagine (and miss) all the conversations that will be going on in the Bouchercon Bar.

Because that's where everyone goes to meet up with writers present and past...


This is my attempt at putting Nero Wolfe and Hercule Poirot together, in case you can't tell.

Right now, I'm trying to meet an end of August deadline, which is largely both why I'm a) not in Nashville and b) not writing!
Thinking about mystery readers and writers congregating, exchanging and feasting on ideas, being entertaining while being entertained, makes me imagine Wendell Thomas’s Cyd Redondo swapping stories with Kwai Quartey’s Emma Djan as Detective Kubu checks out the quality of nuts.

Maybe because gatherings of that sort are happening here in Singapore now--it's the Ghost Month, the time when the gates of hell open and spirits return to be entertained by getai performances and indulge in food, incense and other burned offerings.

At least that's the intention.
There was an incident over the weekend when police were called to a public getai performance that drew a live audience of over three hundred. Getai (literally 'song stage') are loud, garish, over the top performances. But most locals know better than to complain, being mindful of the first row of seats--always left empty as they are reserved for spirits and deities
Apparently a complaint about excessive noise in a residential/ tourist area was made. This being Singapore, two police officers showed up ASAP.

Again, this being Singapore, the police officers left after checking the organiser's permit and the show went on as usual.

After all, MP Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim was not only present, but performed a Hokkien song ("我问天") which got the audience singing along.
Around here, even if you don't believe in hungry ghosts, you have to pay respect to Members of Parliament!

But I wonder what the returning ghosts make of today's Singapore.

Much as I wish I could be at Bouchercon, there are some consolations here. For one, the Trumpet Trees all over Singapore are blooming right now.

These are some of the trees along the park connector running by Ulu Pandan Canal. It's one of my favourite walks, all the more so right now.

I'll get back to edits now--I hope all of you heading to Bouchercon have a Wonderful time!

6 comments:

  1. I am heading to Nashville today. It will be as hot as Singapore. 102F/39C! Wish you were here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun, Grace! Please eat fried catfish, goo goo cluster and banana pudding for me!!!

      Delete
    2. You read my mind. Those are the exact foods on my list to try this week! Will post photos on FB.

      Delete
  2. From AA: oh how I wish you could be with us. Virtual hugs just do not suffice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, please be well and have a wonderful time!!

      Delete
  3. I'm here in Nashville and am sorry you aren't. In fact, I just had dinner with Grace and a mutual friend, Pat Sellers, and we said nice things about you! Those trumpet trees are magnificent; it's a good thing you aren't missing them.

    ReplyDelete