Monday, December 26, 2022

Merry Day After Christmas

Annamaria in Florence


Once again I have decamped to Florence to celebrate the holidays and to escape winter in my otherwise beloved NYC.  Given my superannuated condition, I don't think it's a good idea for me to fall down. A lot of the people in my age category who have taken a bad fall have never fully recuperated. And much as I love my vibrant, beautiful city, at this time of year the sidewalks can be treacherous. Fortunately for me, I have the choice of a choice place to go!

This week, I am feeling extra lucky.  Even benign weather places in the United States have faced an epic storm. I was fortunate to escape before the mega blizzard hit, so my flight even left on time.

Here are a couple of screenshots showing the temperature differences between New York City and Firenze during this holiday weekend:






I was traveling alone but had the company of a very dear friend of many years.  Kubu is a great travel companion, makes the hours (ahem) fly by!


The airports were festive with holiday decorations, and while changing planes in Frankfurt, I even spotted St. Nick and an elf:



It's been cloudy and a bit rainy here for my first few days, but still much better than I would have found back across the pond.


The atmosphere in the restaurants as elegant and subdued as ever.  The food... Far above par!

Breakfast is spectacularly good.


And the city is lit up!







After a spectacular Christmas lunch with my Italian family in the Chianti, on my way home I found the facade of the Palazzo Vecchio bathed in a mesmerizing projections.





My little Christmas tree, shown at the top, is doing its best to put its own little sheen of cheer on the  proceedings.

I am sending you all, readers and writers, my very best wishes for many many joys in the coming year.  Listen to this.  It will tell you where those joys can be found. 


I hope you will take it to heart!

16 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, beloved Sis, in your beloved Florence. Much love, Jeff & Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second the Merry Christmas, Annamaria. Florence looks stunning at this time of year. I hope you plan to stay until the weather has calmed down in NYC. Stay safe and warm! Zxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm happy you're happy. And a big Happy Happy to all the hangabouts hereabouts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From AA: trying to comment on the third of my three gadgets.

    To Brother Jeff: Back atcha, Bro. I hope we will meet up in the spring in NYC!!!
    To Zoe: I will be hiding out here until the end of February to avoid the icy, but otherwise legendary sidewalks of New York.
    To EvKa aka Tiny Tim: thank you for being here with us and all the fun to add to MIE.
    To Stan: Boxing Day to you, ST. Here in La Bella Italia, it is the feast of San Stefano. As in "Good King Wenceslas looked out, on the feast of Stephen..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas my dear sister! Happy your holiday has been good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my brother. I still miss the things I miss, but there is a lot of lovely compensation here!!

      Delete
  6. Loved this! So happy you had Christmas lunch in Chianti. Please send our regards the next time you see them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. Regards delivered!!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful that you are back in your second home! I'm glad Kubu kept you good company on the flight (but not by sitting next to you!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From AA:
      I have sat next to a person Kubu's size. i imagine if he had been Kubu, the conversation would have been worth the squeeze. I am little after all.

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, Tony Bennett. His voice and phrasing! Thank you. Florence is so beautiful lit up for Christmas. My husband and I were there once in spring, anad it was lovely even then. Here in Braga, Portugal, there are overhead garlands and decorations of lights, a Christmas tree in lights in the main plaza, and all the sidewalk trees are wrapped in lights. It must be a European thing.

    All best wishes for a Happy New Year full of all good things for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! I just got word that me luggage is finally going to catch up with me! So your good wishes are already producing results. :)) I hope mine for you work out even better!!!

      Delete