Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Left Coast crime follow up with Annamaria at the signing table.
While at the conference word came out that Philip Kerr, the brilliant writer and author of the well known Bernie Gunther novels set pre and post war Berlin passed away. His latest novel Prussian Blue is nominated for an Edgar for Best Mystery novel. Meanwhile his next book - set in postwar Greece it seems, Jeff - comes out at the beginning of April. He's one of my favourite authors hands down and I've ordered his next from my local bookstore. But the news gutted me. I'm a total fangirl and met him at signings.
His writing about a time and place he was passionate about inspired me to write. I've heard him say he didn't follow that adage of write what you know but to write what he wanted to know.  A very generous, witty man who even gave me a blurb and asked his publisher to send me one of his books.
Here's his upcoming and what I thought would be his last Bernie Gunther novel.
His novels are to savour and it saddened me to think after this there would be no more. However, his editor has said he was working on edits of the next Bernie when he passed. A gift for next year.
I don't like to think he's gone, just having a drink in  Berlin with Bernie.
Cara - Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. Philip Kerr’s death was a stunning shock. I rarely met a mystery writer who didn’t put him at the top of their favorites list. What a loss. And yes, Cara, I’ve been anxiously awaiting his Greece-based novel. God rest his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoë, wonder if you know any more details being in the UK? It's such a shock...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that I haven't read any of his books. I must have had a deprived childhood. I downloaded the first in the series this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara, I LOVE that picture of us.

    Regarding the sad news, like Michael, I have been clueless. But now I have all those pleasures ahead of me.

    News of my Facebook feed has been replete with shock, sorrow, and praise for Kerr by the most discerning readers I know. So sorry for this loss to our tribe.

    ReplyDelete