Wednesday, October 9, 2024

The Delaware River's Almost-Twin Sisters: Lambertville and New Hope

 Sujata Massey



I walked all the way from New Jersey to Pennsylvania this morning.


It was a breeze--taking just about 10 minutes to stroll across the historic 1000-foot bridge between two charming small towns: Lambertville on the Jersey side, and New Hope in Pennsylvania. 




Even though I've always lived in cities, my heart melts when I explore small towns. I feel myself go back into the books I loved in childhood when I walk narrow streets, peering over old iron fences into pocket-sized gardens. It all tends to work when there's money involved; when people have a profitable reason to preserve their buildings, and interesting tenants move in to serve meals, sell antiques, and display adorable items in the windows. 


Not every old town gets such a chance. Very likely the special bridge linking two places was a factor. Lambertville is a little more shopping heavy, and New Hope has a few more water views and cultural meccas--but both make a wonderful day or even an outing for a few hours. And what a magnificent view for a walker from the bridge's center!




Ten thousand years ago, this gorgeous area was home for the Lenni-Lenape Native Americans. Lambertville became a Western settlement around 1703, when agents for the council of West Jersey bought the land from the Delaware Indians. The Europeans then subdivided the land to farmers and developers. Ferries, taverns, and shops sprung up here and in the town across the water, which were then called Coryell's Ferry. The area that I casually explored was an important outpost and crossing point for George Washington's troops in the War for Independence.


New Hope was founded in 1710 with a land-grant from William Penn. It was the halfway point between Philadelphia and New York City and an important location for train and boat travel. Mills harnessed the strength of the Delaware River, and trains running goods from here throughout the country. Lots of 19th century buildings of brick and stucco add their own grand flourishes to the housing landscape. 

Here's a peek at the 1840s Amwell Masonic Lodge, now shops, on Bridge Street in Lambertville.





My heart was stolen by the cute Halloween displays in this vintage business--and in at the windows of almost every Lambertville shop.





This old mill building close to the river on the Pennsylvania side made me swoon. I expected someone to emerge wearing a long dress and bonnet and carrying a pail, but at least I saw ducks.



Parryville Mansion, home of New Hope's founder, is a place to explore.





Too many choices of charming ways to go!







There is nothing more gorgeous on an old stone building than a brilliantly edged window.



I remain at the water's edge, contemplating the prospect of my next visit!

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful pair of twins I once knew well that you describe magnificently. They are about an hour from our farm and when Barbara read your post she looked at me and said, "Why haven't you taken me there?"

    Thanks for that. :) --Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to New Hope in years, but I used to meet great friends there off and on for wonderful dinners. It's a lovely place. Sadly, I never explored Lambertville.

    ReplyDelete