Sunday, September 8, 2024

AI and the Homogenization of Humanity

Annamaria on Monday

Because I cannot bear all those possible
photos of robots, I am sharing pictures of
real flowers!

I'll will start with my initial concern. When I made up the title for this blog, I was thinking about the temptation I myself sometimes feel, especially as I type emails on my phone or iPad.  I am drawn to accept the suggested next word in the sentence I am typing.  That would be so much easier than forcing myself to think deeply about how I really feel or how I can more precisely express myself.


I imagine that, with such techniques, the creators of AI are trying to make our work easier, make us more efficient and productive.  They have many products now that they sell to businesses that are intended to accomplish this.  But... 

By virtue of providing AI "assistance" to employees (whom they will eventually replace with bots), I am afraid that they are taking way out on a myriad of tasks.  And homogenizing the level of thinking going into getting the work done.  And reducing the level of thinking to the lowest common denominator.  My college-age nephew, who worked part-time with me over his summer and talked to me about his college friends who were working in offices while they were off from school.  They were, he said, bored stiff because the were given tasks that were mostly done by AI, and that they their own capacity to think and be creative seemed superfluous.


So my question is, with all that "help" from AI, are we losing the benefit of each person's ability to think deeper to invent new way to solve problems.  At the very least, we are robbing workers of the sense of achievement. of making a real contribution.  Of the pleasure of having to struggle with a concept and then conquer it.  Of allowing a group real human beings to toss the question around and share different perspectives, and arrive at a conclusion, none of them could have gotten to alone.  Which is, of course, one of the most power ways to engage human intelligence. And it is fun!


This is pretty much as far as I imagined I would go today in my thinking about AI.  depth. But then..

Yesterday, afternoon and this morning, I tuned into two of my favorite podcasts, and they took up a broader version of these very questions.  And they scared me.  Really!


The first was the latest On the Media, which ordinarily critiques how the media is covering important current news.  But yesterday's episode - Shell Game, features a veteran journals who is launching his own podcast, the first of which reveals how, slowly over months he has created a voice bot of himself and began to test how far he could go in turning his own activities over to the bot.  He taught the bot a lot of facts about himself and put it work--conducting interviews, raising his children, and keeping in touch with his mother.

Some of what he reports is comical, but some of what he describes and what he predicts makes me fear - more than ever-what the future will bring.  In this case, it seems too easy to imagine that a large percentage of human beings in developed countries, especially in the USA will one day soon be leading virtual lives, including having fake phone calls with the aging parents.


Think I am an alarmist who is exaggerating the risk? You may want to check out the latest Short Wave: Body Electric: How AI is Changing Out Relationships.  (Take note that this title is in the present tense.)

Millions of people are already in psychotherapy, with a bot for a therapist.  Evidently, people know they are talking to a machine and some feel more comfortable revealing their problems to an artificial, rather than to a real person.  From these "relationships," they get empathy.  But not real empathy.  Pretend empathy. Automatic empathy from an app.  And advice.  But not from a person who might be conscientious.  Or who might care about having a good reputation. 


Worse, if you as me, is that millions of people are having intimate relationships with bots.  They are called Artificial Intimacy Avatars.  They express nonjudgmental love and understanding.  Listen to the story of the man who has a wife with whom the bloom is off the sexual rose.  His avatar is a sexy young woman, who is really a disembodied image.  The bot gives him continuous positive reinforcement.  This thing, that does not have a body, makes virtual love with him.  He finds it easier, the reporters say, than having to confront the realities of his life.  

My rejection of such "solutions," I admit, are coming from an old lady.  I can't help it. To me, the whole thing is a huge lie.  These AI bots present themselves as real people.  They are designed to convince the recipients that they are getting true understanding and support from people who really care about them.  But what they are getting is ALL FAKE.


But the corporations who are providing these "services" are raking in tons of REAL money.  How, you might say. Sometimes the apps are free.  But, as is the case with nearly all we do online, the providers are taking note of everything.  That virtual shrink does not have comply with laws about protecting your privacy.  In fact the owners of the companies have as many as 2600 other bots listening in.  And they offer the users no protection against revelation of they to tell to the bots.  Peoples' most intimate thoughtsIt might wind up in court, with the police, or with a prospective employer.  The companies are flooding the world with these bots, and the only thing they really care about is money.  

 All those young people who are just absorbing and beginning to understand how the world they live in works.  Instead of learning how to have real relationships with real human beings, are they going to accept the easy way and only have intimacy with machines?  And assuming some of them are going to make actual babies, are they going to delegate to their avatars the rising of their children?

Perhaps you see this whole post as the fearful nightmares of an old lady.  Most likely, I will not live long enough to see what actually comes to pass.  But I can still abhor the very thought of it.  And to urge people not to go too far down that path of creating a dehumanized world.    

9 comments:

  1. At least they aren’t duplicating your beautiful flower photographs.
    I might have used one of their words if I was the one who originally thought of them but it has the opposite effect and when I see the prompt words appear I spend more time trying to come up with alternative words instead.
    I don’t want want another entity, real or bot or anything else speaking for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I too want to express myself. I am worried that today’s children and young people are not learning to do so. That they don’t write. They type. And that they take the words they are given. And that they will never learn to play with language and make it work in a special way for them.

      Delete
    2. Roget’s Thesaurus has always been one of my writing companions from high school to college and beyond.
      Even in a post like this I try to use a variety of words instead of repeating what some ‘thing’ thinks or is programmed to enter what I want to say.

      Delete
  2. I share many of your concerns. But, at the same time, I have to wonder how much/many of my thoughts are of the "When *I* was young, we used to have to tunnel through snow banks to get to the toilet!" form of thinking. I also think that your thought on people escaping into fake relationships, using them to form their ideas of what reality is like, is not much different (other than as a matter of degree) from what people have done with TV series, movies, theater, sitting around campfires.

    But, then, I also remember how I've detested the writing abilities (or lack thereof) of so many people for the past 40 years of reading on-line posts (clear back to the days of usenet groups), where they clearly have NO concept of the differences between YOUR and YOU'RE, between AN and AND, between THERE and THEIR, how to use commas and periods and capitalization, how to compose their thoughts in some semblance of a cogent flow of ideas, how to terminate a paragraph that just seems to be one long, unending sentence...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so right, Everett. I fear that sometimes I sound like a luddite. It's not that I dislike technology. It's the need to keep use it wisely.
      As I have said here often here, the strongest force on earth has been human persistence, Stronger than gravity. (It has its ugly side, to be sure, but is also the reason we are finding cures for horrid diseases, and other forms of progress.) If we use AI to make everything much easier, will we be losing our inclination to struggle until we get things right? What a tragedy that would be. We need to struggle, to reach for the next level. To understand how deeply satisfying it is to push harder and make ourselves better. And how joyful it is overcome obstacles. And the more difficult they are, the greater the sense of accomplishment.

      Think about our sports and our hobbies. We pursue them because we want to be challenged. Should we really be teaching the next generation of children how to tell AI to do their homework?
      Those people who don't know how to use our splendid language properly are definitely a case in point. No one is forcing them to find their own mistakes. And to correct them. Now they can use "Grammerly" to do it for them. Do they reread what they wrote to learn from Grammerly what their mistakes were? I doubt it. And besides, as far as I can see, Grammerly doesn't know the difference between "number" and "amount." I will be shouting "number" at the broadcast news reports until the day I die. "IT'S THE NUMBER of people. NOT the amount of people."
      Whew, you really know how to get an old lady riled up. In a good way!

      Delete
    2. That last line is what my wife says... :-)

      I think one element that's linked into this discussion, but I'm not sure has been explicitly called out, is the "desire for excellence" with regard to both what we DO and what we EXPERIENCE. Some folks like to DO (create), while others are focused on EXPERIENCE (consumption), and that's okay, we need both (and, yes, doing/creating IS an experience in itself). But, a healthy, fulsome life should be well balanced between the two, while a regrettably large number of (not amount! :-) of people seem focused as much as possible just experiencing, it seems to me. That means when they DO/create, there's a little desire for excellence involved.

      Delete
    3. So we’ll put! It’s that desire for excellence in the doing/creating that I fear is endangered. The bots don’t strive for excellence. That is the thing only humans do. It’s what makes the best of us precious to the rest. Making the garden so beautiful. Playing the song splendidly. Hitting the home run. Telling the joke that makes us double over with laughter. All bots can do is churn things out. Doing only that much makes people depressed. We have to make sure the kids learn to strive. That’s what will make them happy.

      Delete
    4. The above from AA

      Delete
  3. I agree with what you're saying. I'd not realised things went so far. I think I don't know enough to be scared but I like the idea of AI, like it sounds good that people who're living alone have AI sensors that require them to move past 'check in' points (toilet, bed, kitchen) and registers falls so that if something goes wrong an alert goes out. I really like your pictures btw, especially the daffodils around the tree.

    ReplyDelete