Saturday, June 15, 2024

It's My Birthday and I'll Sigh If I want to, But I Shan't.

 


 

Jeff––Saturday

 

On the occasion of my birthday, I proudly present “The Road Not Taken––NOT by Robert Frost.”  

 

It’s a greatly abridged description of transcendental moments of decision in my life. For those classicists among you, the original—frosty––version follows upon this parody of my favorite poet’s much revered lyric view on life's choices.

 

 


Two roads diverged in my youth as should,

And thinking I could not travel both

And fearing a wrong choice, long I stood

Searching down each road as far I could

Seeking clues on which led best toward growth;

 

I chose the most financially fair,

Dismissing my passions’ author claim,

I took the label lawyer to wear;

Perceiving fortune by passing there

Instead of a life far from the same,

 

I’d picked my path when I made my play

Yet as years faded by on that track

I longed more to find another way!

But knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted I could ever come back.

 

But I shan’t let this end with a sigh

For I trotted back along the fence

To where two roads diverge in a ‘should I’—

To follow the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

 

 


ORIGINAL VERSION

 

The Road Not Taken

 

By Robert Frost

 

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

 

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

 

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

 

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

 

Thanks, Robert––Jeff

22 comments:

  1. Well done Jeff and enjoy it all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! Happiest of birthdays to you, Jeff! We all love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendall, and you are greatly loved in return!

      Delete
  3. One of my favourites and spoken by a close friend at my son Cornelius’s memorial service in London . Heather ex Minotaur Bar Mykonos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a poem that strikes the right chord for so many of us...for so many different reasons and occasions. xx

      Delete
  4. Thanks, Jeff. And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Big Birthday.Celebrate every day until the next one.Hope to see you soon.and give my love to Barbara and you should thank her for putting up with you.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do I not even have to guess at who posted this anonymous note, Sis. :) Thank you, my love, and I'll make sure to share this with Barbara.

      Delete
  6. I'm confused these days: the older I get, the slower I walk, but it seems I must be walking faster as things fly by me at an accelerating pace. Perhaps I'm taking longer strides? Since you're older than I, Jeff, perhaps you could leave a message for me on a sign post to help me clarify my thoughts? :-) All the best to you, Bro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bro EvKa. The sign posts are everywhere, you just have to trust to the fates to follow them with your heart. YIELD using good sense, and DETOUR when you must.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday, Jeff. Wishing you a wonderful celebration and continued success on your poetry career. Love to you and Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave for all your good wishes. We can't wait to see you and Sue at Bcon.

      Delete
  8. Good decision, Jeff. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Jeff. I am so pleased that you went back to that fork in the road. Love from Mette and me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stan. It was either get back to that fork or be forked (as in skewered). Love back at you and Mette, from Barbara and me.

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday my friend. Look forward to seeing you on our island soon, and remember that other great philosopher Yogi Berra’s take “when You come to the Fork in the Road Take it” you took it both ways and crushed it both ways

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Buddy. Barbara and I can't wait to see you and Rhea on "our island." :) Thanks, too, for mentioning another of my spiritual guides whose words at times seem tattooed on the inside of my eyelids: "It ain't over till it's over." :)

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, from your older sister. Welcome to my decade. I can tell you this: Some of the best things that ever happen to a person can happen at this point in life. Keep on keeping on, my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! ra whanau ki a koe (happy birthday), Jeff. Hope you had a wonderful weekend full of celebrations.

    ReplyDelete