Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Are you ever too old to wear a bikini



ARE YOU EVER TOO OLD TO WEAR A BIKINI?

Never. It must be a French thing. Or so says a French blogger.


Last year, a minister was quoted saying, "It is a French woman's duty to wear a bikini on a beach." This from the former minister for families, Nadine Morano.
Ms Morano, 51. She provoked a political argument by complaining that she had seen a Muslim woman sitting on a French beach in headscarf, long-sleeved tunic and trousers while her husband stripped off and bathed in the sea.
"When you choose to come to a country of secular laws like France, you have an obligation to respect our culture and the liberty of women. Or you go somewhere else," Ms Morano wrote on her Facebook page.

However this week an attack on a woman in France because she wore a bikini in a public park has sparked outrage on social media.
In Reims, the 21-year-old victim was beaten up by a gang of reportedly Muslim young women – aged between 16 and 24 – when she was sunbathing with two friends. She was attacked allegedly because of exposing herself in the public. Why there, why then? No real explanations from the alleged culprits other than she was indecent.
Protesters wearing bikinis and swimsuits flooded social media.
But apart from the religious divisive issues on bikini's there is an underlying controversy. Muriel, a French woman blogger, brings up 'Are you ever too old to wear a bikini?'

Below, I've quoted what Muriel - a French woman - said in her blog:

 I hadn’t realized that there was a bikini police, but apparently when a woman hits 35 or 40 she has to dress more conservatively. This means that we are not supposed to wear crop tops, mini skirts, or bikinis. I know that it may come to a shock to you but although I feel 25 in my head my official age says something slightly different. What can I say? Time flies. It’s part of the many unwritten rules more mature women have to follow: dress sensibly.
Seriously? Says who?

My response is as follows: enough with the fashion diktats. In fact, I believe that it should be a woman’s duty to wear a bikini. Don’t get me wrong, I am not patronizing anyone here. I just believe that wearing a bikini at the swimming pool or the beach is just as normal as breathing or walking. Why? Because no woman, of whatever age or shape, should be ashamed of her body. There it is
So, tell me, when did we become such prudes? I remember that most women were sunbathing topless in France when I was growing up, and nobody batted an eyelid. Some were well in their 70s or even 80s. Others had scars of an old C-section. And what was wrong with stretch marks again? Nobody cared. Your body was telling your story. Frankly, there was nothing to be ashamed of. Quite the opposite, in fact. You were showing that you were proud of your life story. What happened? Where did it all go wrong?

For various reasons, being fashion, religion or self-esteem, women’s body is now something to hide. Or denigrate. And I believe that’s the real shame.
 Personally, I have had enough. I will do as I please. Yes, I am older, and if I want to wear a bikini I will do so. Period.
I say it’s time to unleash your inner French, and wear a bikini, or whatever you like.  Once again, it must be my French side.


Cara - Tuesday

11 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! Well said, Cara and Muriel. Jeff, where's your bikini???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bikini's is ready for Sicily in September

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had the confidence when I had the body. Now that I am no longer that sylph, I haven't got the nerve. That said, Cara, SICILY!!!! Where are you going? For how long? I will be there in winter. No beach, but man-oh-man, am I ready to revel in the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. late September to mid-October - will you be there??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish!! I will be there in January and February. Shall I write a post with recommendations. I owe you. I have a Cara file with your posts for my next rip to Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have (finally) gotten to the age where I don't really care what people think of my fashion sense or lack thereof. I am even wearing shorts in public now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo! Je suis d'accord.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too didn't have the confidence to wear a bikini back when I could have...and now I wouldn't subject the world to the spectacle on a bet. Even so, I don't mind if anyone else wears one (no matter what age or size she is) - I think people should wear what makes them happy, regardless of circumstance.

    Well, okay, maybe 'naked in church' could use some self-editing, but beyond that....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I try not to wear a bikini in public because although I'm happy enough to frighten small children, I do try not to frighten the horses. :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, and I saw Muslim women swimming in headscarves and full-cover swimsuits in 45-deg-plus at a Dead Sea resort a couple of years ago. It looked cumbersome, but that's probably my perception. It would have made more sense had the Muslim men also been wearing full-cover bathing suits, though ...

    ReplyDelete