Tuesday, June 17, 2014

What the Dickens? The Five Miss Havishams Invade London Underground

As any regular commuter will know, you see all sorts of people on the London Underground.

But rush hour passengers, a few weeks ago, were stunned to see a group of five Miss Havishams take the Tube.

The group - who were promoting a screening of Great Expectations on TV - travelled among surprised commuters on the Underground and buses before congregating in front of Big Ben at 8.40am, the time Miss Havisham is jilted by her fiancé Compeyson in the novel and stopped all of the clocks around her.

The Miss Havishams also visited Westminster Abbey, the final resting place of author Charles Dickens.
 Here's Miss Havisham's wedding cake - cobwebbed and decaying - from
the wedding feast that never happened.

I'm waiting to see Madame Defarge from A Tale of Two Cities on the Paris Metro knitting.

Cara - Tuesday

4 comments:

  1. I have to say this before Jeff or Everett does: Miss Havisham could visit Bordeaux and have Grape Expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess that I've seen worse on the London Underground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great! (Sorry, AmA, if you expected more...) Although they look more like a promotion for The Walking Dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I got over the shock I realized I had gotten old when I saw a revival of G.E. on TV. Miss Havisham was played by Jean Simmons. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

    ReplyDelete