Monday, April 1, 2019

Left Coast Crime 2019: My Take

Annamaria on Monday

BREAKING NEWS....

PRESENTING SUJATA, winner of the Lefty for Best Historical Novel of 2018!!


Left Coast Crime this year ended with with rejoicing over Sujata's win.  I love her books.

CONGRATULATIIONS, SUJATA!!

But, to go back to the beginning--

There was a lead up that involved a visit with David's relatives in Ft. Bragg,California and a beautiful drive along the coast, where I saw this...

...in the women's room of this place...


Then, after the usual vagaries of 21st Century air travel, in Vancouver the conference was off and running.

Beginning with author speed-dating.  My partner was the fabulous Cathy Ace, LCC 2019 Toast Master. 


We look rather subdued before the start, but I am pretty sure
that there wasn't a higher energy duo in place once matters got underway.

And panels, including us--The Historical Panel



Walks about the town.

The little I got to see of Vancouver made me think I could live there.  We had splendid weather.  The ambiance of the town is lively.  The architecture wonderful, especially the homes I saw, sturdy and elegant.  It feels American but seemed to be entirely without the sturm und drang of the present-day USA.






The Lefty winner takes a selfie!









The delightful usual suspects to eat and drink with.  I LOVE my crime writing tribe!

 

And horsing around. 

LCC is my favorite crime conference, bar none.


Next year: SanDiego!!

6 comments:

  1. Annamaria,
    I'm happy we spent some time together. LCC was fun and special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave! It was special. And I look forward to San Diego. And to your reports from Tuscany and Umbria next month. Post pictures!!

      Delete
  2. So glad Sujata Massey won! I loved "The Widows of Malabar Hill."
    And I just found one copy of her second book in this series available at the library. Can't wait.
    Also, glad you're all having fun. Vancouver looks like a terrific city to visit and live in, and as you say, it is without the sturm und drang in the U.S. (Gosh, it is getting crazier here. The guy in the White House just said twice in a few days that he loved Germany, his father was born there. His father was born in the Bronx. And the lies just keep coming. Incredible.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I am 100% with you when it comes to Sujata’s books!

    Regarding the thug in the WH, I think this particular lie is a coded message to his neo-Nazi fan base, telling how closely he identifies with the prevailing
    Germans of his father’s generation. Just sayin’.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great hanging around with you, Sis, and sorry it took until now to get around to your post, but since leaving Vancouver it's been a mad dash. Barbara will see you back in NYC as soon as she abandons me and the tour in LA...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Anna Maria, you're probably right. No. 45's German-born father was a dog whistle to his neo-Nazi pals. How lovely! What are we living in? Sturm und drang is right, but I prefer it in Yiddish, rather than German.

    ReplyDelete