Sunday, September 16, 2018

Surprise! Hokkaido Horserace!

-- Susan, every other Sunday

I'm currently on a three-week mountain climbing trip to Hokkaido, Japan's northernmost major island.

This is what heaven looks like.

In the six days since my arrival, I've summited three major peaks (the smallest was just under 2,000 meters, the highest 2,141), with five more possible climbs on the agenda before I return to Tokyo on September 25.

On the summit of Tomuraushi, 2,141 meters

Some of you may have seen that Hokkaido was rocked by a massive earthquake a little over a week ago (three days before I arrived). The island's 5 million residents have done a shockingly good job of recovering from the quake. Although some areas remain impacted, others have pretty much returned to normal.

Wherein lies a tale.

Two days ago I discovered that my trekking poles, permitted on the bullet train, are not permitted on the ANA flight I'm taking back to Tokyo from the northern Hokkaido city of Wakkanai. Since I travel light, my existing suitcase isn't large enough for the poles, so my guide and I used today's rest day between climbs for a detour to Obihiro, the only designated city in Tokachi prefecture, so I could buy a larger suitcase.

This is neither a city nor my suitcase. In case you were wondering.

While there, my guide discovered that traditional horse racing was taking place at the city's track this afternoon - the first such races since the earthquake. Since I love horses as much as I love mountains, we hopped in the car and reached the track just minutes before the race began.

The horse racing stadium in Obihiro, Hokkaido, Japan

We spent those minutes visiting the retired racehorses stabled near the track. The stable is open so visitors can meet these massive horses (and for the equivalent of $1 you can buy carrots to feed them - which, of course, we did).
This beautiful fellow was such a good racer that he has official citizenship papers in Obihiro.

Hokkaido's traditional racing isn't long-track, high speed racing like you see in the United States. It's short-track-with-two-hills racing referred to as "stop and go!"

The "big hill" on the traditional racing track.

The race takes about five minutes to run, and the horses seemed to enjoy the competition.

Horses coming up the "big hill" in the middle of the race.

This style of racing was invented by Japanese farmers. When the season's work was finished, they challenged one another to see whose horse could run the fastest while pulling a load.

Down the hill! It's like Western racing in slow motion. The crowd loved this part.

Today, the horses (all massive draft animals) pull weighted sleds up the little hill, to the big hill, and to the finish line.

The jockeys have to keep the horses in their lanes, or they will be disqualified.

The horses seemed to be enjoying themselves (I've spent enough time around horses to know - and these were not upset), and the weight isn't heavy enough to be cruel. In fact, the one that won was way behind and clearly decided he didn't want to finish last:

The exciting (first) rush to the finish! (There are eight more horses about 30 yards behind.)

So the 75% mark, he perked his ears forward, lowered his head, and hauled some serious horsie-tush for the finish line.

We got to watch the exciting finish four more times, as the other eight horses made their way to the finish line over the next minute or two.

I love the mountains, but I'm also an enormous fan of experiences--especially those involving traditional culture (and horses), and this was an exciting way to spend my rest day in Obihiro!

See you in two weeks, when I'll be back from the mountains and hopefully sharing more adventures from Japan's far north!


7 comments:

  1. Susan, With every one of these posts, I get more excited about seeing Japan with you. Thanks so much for rescuing the trekking poles. I am going to need them in a month and two days. (!!!!! A MONTH AND TWO DAYS!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huzzah!!! I can't wait to see you and show you Japan!!

      Delete
  2. 1) Did you get the bigger suitcase?
    2) Was it big enough for a horse?
    3) Can you get one for me while you are there?
    Ta
    Caro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the suitcase, Caro, and sadly, it wasn't big enough for even a small horse, let alone a horse the size of these. I'll try to find you a horse-sized case before I leave though, and a horse to put in it - but you're on the hook for the postage. :)

      Delete
  3. I foresee a horse race in a future Hiro novel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could happen. I'm already trying to find a good excuse to get them to Hokkaido, because I want to come back (as if I need an excuse...)

      Delete
  4. Amazing the common themes in different cultures. When I lived in the eastern Berkshires--by Amherst--the farming hill towns held local fairs in which a highlight was the ox pulls and horse draws. Both involved farm animals competing with one another in pulling weight. The oxen's more like a jerk, and horses a steady pull toward the finish line. Those events I believe are now long gone from the area...which inspires me to get a suitably long suitcase and head over to your neck of the woods in what seems to be an emerging MIE reunion. KEEP CLIMBING!!

    ReplyDelete