Tuesday, January 23, 2018

...it was like eating liquid sunshine... Adieu Peter Mayle

We lost Peter Mayle this week.  He wrote many books but is best remembered for "A Year in Provence" full of insightful observations about life in Provence. 
 "The earth was frozen, the vines were clipped and dormant, it was too cold to hunt. Had they all gone on holiday?...It was a puzzle, until we realized how many of the local people had their birthdays in September or October, and then a possible but unverifiable answer suggested itself: they were busy indoors making babies. There is a season for everything in Provence, and the first two months of the year must be devoted to procreation. We have never dared to ask.” -- A Year in Provence
"The people of Provence greeted spring with uncharacteristic briskness, as if nature had given everyone an injection of sap."
-- A Year in Provence
"And, as for the oil, it is a masterpiece. You’ll see."
Before dinner that night, we tested it, dripping it onto slices of bread that had been rubbed with the flesh of tomatoes. It was like eating sunshine."
-- A Year in Provence

“Only snobs kiss once, I was told, or those unfortunates who suffer from congenital froideur. I then saw what I assumed to be the correct procedure - the triple kiss, left-right-left, so I tried it on a Parisian friend. Wrong again. She told me that triple-kissing was a low Provençal habit, and that two kisses were enough among civilized people. The next time I saw my neighbor’s wife, I kissed her twice. “Non,” she said, “trois fois.”
 I now pay close attention to the movement of the female head. If it stops swiveling after two kisses, I am almost sure I've filled my quota, but I stay poised for a third lunge just in case the head should keep moving.” 
-- A Year in Provence



"We sat back, thankful that we had been able to finish, and watched with something close to panic as plates were wiped yet again and a huge, steaming casserole was placed on the table. This was the specialty of Madame our hostess - a rabbit civet of the richest, deepest brown - and our feeble requests for small portions were smilingly ignored. We ate it. We ate the green salad with knuckles of bread fried in garlic and olive oil, we ate the plump round crottins of goat's cheese, we ate the almond and cream gateau that the daughter of the house had prepared. That night, we ate for England.” 
-- A Year in Provence
“We had to be up early in the morning. We had a goat race to go to... We asked the old man confident in the knowledge that he, like every Frenchman, would be an expert. "The goats who make the most droppings before the race are likely to do well. An empty goat is faster than a full goat. C'est logique.” 
-- A Year in Provence
                            Adieu Peter and merci!
Cara - Tuesday

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Cara. His was the best book about a place that I ever read. The me-too outsider views of other places that came after never came close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cara, for the reminiscences. When I started in on writing my first book situated in Greece I thought often about the profound affect his YIP had once had on me. Not that I in any way write like him, but I think it’s safe to say that he brought home the significance of place to a story based in another culture as well if not better than anyone of his generation.

    ReplyDelete