Monday, September 25, 2017

Annamaria's Day Jobs

Annamaria on Monday


Allow me to take the stand in my own defense.   Nine days ago, my blog brother Jeffrey Siger intimated that I had been a chef and a stripper.  While, in that post,  he gave to himself and to Caro actual past and present job experiences and personal virtues, he ascribed to me (libelously?) a fictitious activity, characterizing me as a woman of questionable virtue.  As luck would have it, that essay of Jeff's was widely read.  How can I stand idly by when now hundreds of his readers (perhaps thousand, maybe millions, gazillions of his devoted fans) will now think of my past as tarnished, rather than sterling.  Good grief.  How my fellow convent school alums must be wringing their hands (if not tittering behind them) at my fall from grace. When I objected and tried to get Jeff to set the record straight, he (the prosecutor) tossed off some negligible excuse for besmirching my until then untainted character.  He said he was talking about a different Annamaria.  A likely story!

If my own brother will not stand up for me, I am forced to stand up for myself.  Today I am reposting my blog from sixteen months ago.  The day before I wrote it, Zoe had written about writers' day jobs.  Here, reposted, is my follow on:  The truth of my checkered employment past, the only parts of which that had anything to do with my measurements were my tiny, teenage frame and my uncanny mental agility at calculating the square footage of real estate in Hackensack, New Jersey.  

So there!    


I cannot resist taking my whole blog this Monday to answer Zoe's question of yesterday.  She was able to list the day jobs of all of our blogmates,  but not mine.  Here is my report, lengthy because my day jobs have been many and varied: counter clerk in a  dry-cleaning establishment, stock girl in a haberdashery, soda-jerk, waitress, mail clerk in the Manhattan Shirt Company, machine operator in a plastics factory, calculator in a real estate tax evaluation firm, these all before I graduated from college.  Then I became a technical writer, training officer and later in charge of affirmative action at a Wall Street bank, then a consultant in management and leadership development to US and international corporations, and finally I retired in 2009 after ten years as the CEO of a small marketing firm.

But let me tell you about my most unusual job.

During the summer between my sophomore and junior years of high school, I was a Magician's Assistant.  The magic man went to the same church as my family.  The spring when I turned sixteen, he came to our house one Saturday afternoon and found me weeding my grandmother's garden.  He wanted to talk to my mother about a job for me for the coming summer. I figured it would be as a babysitter.  I had quite an impressive local reputation in that field.  But no.  He was impressed with my tiny body.  I am 5 2 and 102 pounds in the photos you see here.  (Please no cracks about my current weight!  I prefer to brag that despite other changes I have maintained my--ahem--stature while many friends my age have begun to shrink.)

Magicians assistants have to be able to fit into very small spaces.  My neighbor didnt want me to take care of his kids.  He wanted to saw me in half.

He did.  And he put me into a box, shoved swords into it from every angle, and when he opened it, he had made me disappear.  He also turned me into the mind reader in the show because I was the only one of three of us who could memorize the meanings of the various clues he called from the audience.


It was a fun job, except for the part where I was forced  to stand statuesquely in a strapless evening gown with my arms extended and smile brightly while he pulled a score of pigeons from his hat and sleeves. He called them doves and made it look magical!)  He put the birds on my bare arms, ten on each.  I can still feel their creepy little feet on my skin.

We rehearsed on Saturdays.  We did our dress rehearsal for the neighbors at the parish hall that following May, and when summer came, we repaired to a theater in Asbury Park every Thursday afternoon.  There we did three shows a day on weekends.  He paid me $1 an hour for rehearsals and the same for my time on stage, and provided my room and board.  When we could, my fellow assistant and I went to beach and read books.

Many years later, in 2001, I saw Woody Allen's film The Curse of the Jade Scorpion.  In it, the main character, a magician puts a woman in a sword box almost identical to the one my magician had used.  The movie's background music for this trick was In a Persian Market.  That was exactly the music my magician played when I went into the sword box.  Even today, whenever I hear it, I think of sitting there with my folded legs under the false floor and my torso and head behind the mirrors, waiting for the audience to stop oohing and ahhing, and for him to open the top so I could leap to freedom.





Annamaria's Events

Bouchercon11-15 OctoberToronto OntarioSheraton CentreToronto, Ontario
My Panel: Read the World
Thursday the 12th

AND Tah-dah...

Dagger Awards Gala Dinner
Thursday 26th October
Grange City Hotel
London

Where our own Leye Adenle and our fellow HOT Writer Ovidia Yu are short listed for the short story Dagger Award.  Hooray for Sunshine Noir!





24 comments:

  1. Aha, I knew there was magical bunny outfit in your background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but no smarmy men in "mansions", Thank you very much!

      Delete
  2. What a talent! To be able to be disappeared. I'm sure we could all use that at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And mind-reading. That would be a great talent to have!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Annamaria. I knew there would be something exciting in your mysterious past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ow this post to you, Zoe. How frequently you inspire what I write the next day!!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Just seeing your name here is awesome to me, Lisa. How long will you in NYC in July?

      Delete
  5. True talent is bound to shine through! I am curious, though, about the point of the rabbit ears...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annamaria, You are full of surprises. And all enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael. You can see that I look back on that summer with glee.

      Delete
  7. EvKa, we had an apparently empty giant top hat. My fellow assistant and I were pulled out of it at the beginning of the show! My mother made the costumes! We were the chastest of bunnies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic story! That surely tops what most of us did in our youth.

    I had some pretty smarmy jobs -- which lasted for two days -- in those years. Couldn't stand them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Annamaria. I was mystified for a moment how my post on Greece had inspired you to write about being a magician's assistant, but now I understand!

    When I damaged my back quite badly two years ago, I joked that I had become the assistant for an incompetent magician who was practising the 'sawing a woman in half' trick and not getting it right at all ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, The devil made me do it. And you know his name.

      Delete
  10. Ah, sis, had I only recalled this post when I wrote mine. Between your perky bunny ears days and pigeon roost ways, the chef/stripper combo would have lost top billing to your true past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Jeff. I got you this close to an actual apology! Maybe I won't kill a lawyer named Jeffrey in my next book after all. Maybe! But watch your step. Hell hath no fury like a sister scorned.

      Delete
    2. Or... Hell hath no fury like a bunny with a sword. Beware Jeff, remember Lorena Bobbit...

      Delete
    3. You inspire me EvKa! In my next book, perhaps a lawyer named Jeffrey will shoot himself while taking aim at a rabbit. Well, in Africa, I think it will have to be a hare. (I leave the punster door open to all comers!)

      Delete
    4. That should be a very interesting read: Elmer Fudd in an Elmer Gantry story line. A true "Strange Gods."

      Delete
  11. Oh, Bro, now you have said words that have completely changed my mood!

    https://youtu.be/wGhQ2BDt4VE

    What's Opera, Doc." The BEST animated film ever made. One of the greatest artifacts of American culture! VIVA CHUCK JONES!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So your story could have been the alternative story in "The Lady Vanishes," a Hitchcock classic. One of my favorite movies of his.

    How fun. I have nothing that even comes close to as interesting a job as that. It's quite amazing that your parents allowed you to do that, especially outside of their jurisdiction.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Kathy, what a good idea! I will have to watch "The Lady Vanishes" again.

    My parents knew very well that by that point--after sixteen years of their tutelage and eleven of Catholic School--that I was the sort to read a book rather than to get into trouble. I was more likely to turn into Marian the Librarian than Holly Golightly.

    ReplyDelete