Saturday, January 7, 2017

Happy New Year, Humbug



Jeff—Saturday

Perhaps this is the first time, at least since World War II, that what we know is being challenged so fiercely. Given that Donald Trump is particularly unpredictable and the US is divided, that the Middle East and North Africa are immersed in violence and destruction, that Turkey is on the brink of chaos, that the terrorism of Islamic extremists is creating fear in both East and West, that the refugee and migration issue is taking on huge dimensions, that populism, nationalism and xenophobia are gaining ground everywhere, that Europe is facing the threat of disintegration, and Ukraine has been transformed into a hub of major tension, any kind of prediction regarding the shape of the world at the end of 2017 would be extremely risky.

Those are not my words, they’re written by a Greek journalist, Angelos Stangos, and appeared this week in Ekathimeri, Greece’s equivalent of The New York Times.

They do, though, rather succinctly sum up feelings I’m hearing expressed by just about everyone I know on this planet. Yes, there are some blissful souls who think the world is doing wonderfully as indicated by the Dow nuzzling 20,000, and others who see nothing but darkness ahead. 

Personally, I see the Steelers in the playoffs.  Though only the bookies may know for how long.


Do I sound uncaring or delusional?  Well, to some for sure. But take a look at it from my perspective.  I was a biology major when modern DNA research was its infancy, a chemistry minor when the periodic table was a dozen or so short of its elements, and a political science major when my professor assured us that the world would not come to an end in a galactic battle between the US and USSR, but in the Middle East (He never addressed the odds of it being a battle between the US and Russia over the Middle East…but stay tuned).


The bottom line to all of this is that I simply no longer have the time or inclination to drive myself nuts over the direction our world is taking. Yes, I have opinions and I express them, but then it’s on to what really matters, my family and friends, my writing, my flute playing…and anything else over which I have a modicum of control or influence.


Were I younger, I’d be back on those parapets grass-rootsing for change with all my heart. But for now, all I have is an interest in cheering on those willing to wage the good fight in the trenches. And if they don’t wish to do so…it’s their choice for it’s their future. I’m living my future, and enjoying it. And I expect to continue doing so no matter how much the bastards out there—elected and otherwise—might try to knock down my spirits.

May 8, 1970---look it up.
Happy New Year.

—Jeff

14 comments:

  1. Ah, so that's a FLUTE you have on your shoulder, Jeff? Did the parrot bite you?

    I think the words that most spring to mind when I look at what 2017 may have in store for the world are 'hell in a handcart' ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dare I tell you where the bite occurred?

      More like hell in a limo.

      Delete
  2. Bravo Jeff! We couldn't have said it any better...

    N & C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you, Jeff (like it or not).

    So where are you in the 1970 photo? Are you the guy with the big bushy hair? Or are you wearing a hat...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You touch on a seminal point in my life, EvKa.

      I was working as a Wall Street lawyer in those days, and many don't realize that May 8, 1970 was only the culmination of many days of similar demonstrations in that Wall Street area between anti-VIetnam War demonstrators (largely students) and hardhats set off by the shooting at Kent State four days before. In fact, my involvement in all this began the night of Kent State. I received a call the evening of May 4th from someone I knew through a volunteer legal assistance organization to represent students who'd taken over the NYU Loeb Student Center in protest of what happened at Kent State. She asked that I be their legal liaison in dealing with an expected effort by the NYPD to retake the Center by force.

      Thankfully, that never happened, but it was an edgy night I'll never forget.

      Days later, on May 8, as I stood close by my office outside Trinity Church (the scene of that photo), watching police do virtually nothing to intervene as hardhats beat demonstrators, I saw a bloodied student run into the church, chased by hardhat swinging rebar bearing an American flag. An Episcopal Priest and I stopped him before he reached the boy lying in the vestibule of the church.

      That moment launched a lifelong friendship with the Priest, and a whole different mindset on my part.

      By the way, out of those riots came something called the Legal Observers Corp, a cadre of lawyers who, working with the NYPD, appeared at demonstrations to assure all sides knew that an objective legal observer would be reporting on their actions.

      And no, I wasn't wearing a hat, just long curly locks.

      Delete
  4. Add me to the list as well, you've articulated my thoughts perfectly, you mind reader you. Your comment, "I'm living my future and enjoying it." should be a FB meme! Oh and btw, Happy New Year! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I freely release all rights to the phrase...for a modest royalty of course. :) All the best to you guys too, as you're living the life in your little stone house overlooking the Ionian sea!

      Delete
  5. Is this your new state of advanced wisdom – concentrating on what's truly important in life and not worrying about matters that are totally out of your control or influence? Does this mean your books are going to get thicker or more frequent? Best wishes for good health, happiness and fun in 2017 for you, Barbara and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact, my friend, with any luck all that will come to pass! I just finished a new Kaldis adventure focusing on the refugee crisis and some attendant prodigious issues. But I also have short stories out in two new Anthologies ("Sunshine Noir " and "Bound By Mystery"), and plan on turning a character from one of those stories into the basis for a new series.

      One guess on what's changed in my life that's freed up my creative efforts. :)

      And all the best to you and Judy.

      Delete
    2. Let me guess what's changed: you've finally gotten your near-terminal case of flatulence under control? No, wait, you're pregnant! Na, probably not. Oh...oh... I got it: you got in your prescription for little blue pills!

      Delete
    3. Uhh, EvKa, on the subject of meds, might I suggest you consider upping the Ritalin dosage as a New Years resolution?

      Delete
  6. I'd been looking for a New Year's resolution I could stick with and appreciate for 2017. Thank you, Jeff. My new motto for the year is "I am living my future, and enjoying it." May that be a true reflection when 2018 rolls around - for both of us (and for Barbara, and all the others we love as well).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good thoughts for 2017, Susan. That's the goal! Thanks.

      Delete