Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Day

Annamaria on Monday


It is half an hour into the 29th of February 2016 as I sit down to write this--past my bedtime, but I just got in from Left Coast Crime in Phoenix.   Though I am pretty tired, I am soldiering on till I get this done.  You see it will be 2044 before February 29th again falls on a Monday, so I figure I better take this chance of writing my blog about the Leap Day.  It just might be my last opportunity.

I won’t explain in detail why we need a leap year or that all calendars have them.  I am sure you understand that this is how we compensate for the fact that our planet takes a tiny bit more than a year to circle the sun.


Many weird and lovely superstitions, traditions, and beliefs have grown up around this date.

The most common tradition is that that this is the day when a woman may propose to her man.  Supposedly this comes from an old Irish legend that St. Brigid struck a deal with St. Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every four years.  Modern mores and customs make this a moot point in many relationships.

In some places, Leap Day is called “Bachelors’ Day” for the same reason. In the Middle Ages, a man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage proposal from a woman on Leap Day.

On the other hand, Greeks consider it unlucky for couples to marry at all during a leap year, and especially on Leap Day.


In Scotland, it used to be considered unlucky for someone to be born on Leap Day.  In the US, people born on February 29 are all invited to join The Honor Society of Leap Year Day Babies.  Some people born on February 29th celebrate their birthdays on February 28th in non-leap years, but many prefer March 1. The Henriksen family from Andenes, Norway currently holds the official Guinness Book record for the most number of children born in one family on leap day. Karin Henriksen gave birth to three children on February 29; her daughter Heidi in 1960 and her sons Olav and Leif-Martin in 1964 and 1968, respectively.  Giachino Rossini, Dinah Shore, and Al Rosen were all Leap Day babies.  

On the downside of ways to celebrate 29 February, in 1692 the first warrants in the Salem witchcraft trials in Massachusetts were issued on Leap Day.  Some of the people involved in that incident were spawn of the devil, but I don't think they were the women accused.

8 comments:

  1. 2044? I'll be 93 if I live that long! And that's not dog years. What's this about earth going around the sun? We, the Crown of Creation, should demand that everything go around us! Apparently, Leap Day has a strange effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On me too, Jono. I think we should all take the day off to worship the stars and the sun and the planets and sing happy birthday to everyone who gets a REAL birthday every four years. Think how great it would be! a holiday for everyone of every persuasion on this planet. We NEED that. And then there is this--from one of my favorite human beings: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd1i3vkkh-0

      Delete
  2. I went through school (K-12) with a guy born on Leap Day, so I was exposed to it early, and it was pretty mind-blowing (at the time) that this poor kid only got a birthday every FOUR years.

    Youngsters are amazed by the SIMPLEST things! (Aren't they, Jeff?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I threw that Leap Day straight-line present at you, knowing that I'd get a great present back, and you didn't disappoint. :-)

      Delete
    2. And I am just a kid who find you both immensely amusing!!

      Delete
    3. I actually was going to thank you in advance for the obvious simple setup, EvKa, but I had to catch a plane. Thank you anyway.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your verdict of the Salem Witch Trials, Annamaria...

    ReplyDelete