Saturday, September 26, 2015

Let Us Pray


I was going to write about last Sunday’s Parliamentary elections in Greece, but decided few care. 
As I wrote while following the returns come in, the Greek people have spoken by returning the just resigned Prime Minister (Alexis Tsipras) and his party (SYRIZA) back to power with the same coalition partner (Independent Greeks) and virtually the same combined number of seats in Parliament as before.
(Numbers in parentheses are changes from January election)

What that election accomplished beyond foisting more trauma upon the country is problematic. Yes, PM Tsipras did purge his party of rebels who’d formed a new party (one that failed to garner enough votes to gain representation in Parliament), but now it will be SYRIZA instituting the harsh measures that Tsipras agreed to in signing the third bailout agreement with the European Union. And though he promised voters during his campaign that he would get all that changed, I doubt many believe him as his record falls woefully short in successes on confronting Greece’s Eurozone creditors.
There will be only SYRIZA to blame or praise for what happens next. And the nation will react accordingly once reality sets in.  Frankly, I'm pleased with this result for a very selfish reason--it's precisely the scenario I'd worked out for Kaldis #8 due for 2016! Now I don't have to change the overall story line. :)
Another topic I thought to write about is the current Republican crop of candidates, but that’s been ably covered here this week.  The only point I wish to make…and it ties into what I decided to write about…concerns Donald Trump.  Did any of you happen to see him standing on the balcony of Trump Tower on Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue?  He stood waving to the crowds lined up below waiting for Pope Francis to arrive at Saint Patrick’s Cathedral.  If you didn’t see it you missed quite a vision—and the sound of boos running up from the street below to meet him.


Can you imagine more diametrically opposed human values than those represented by the man on that balcony and the man passing by him?
I can’t.

But I’m not going there. Instead, I’m striving to find the place of Pope Francis.  One where every life matters, the values of the human spirit thrive, compassion rules, and we are judged by our acts not our words.  To hear him speak, to see him smile, to feel his presence should shame us all for what we have come to accept in those we allow to lead our secular world and drive our daily lives.
Whether or not you are Catholic, and I am not, if you believe in leading an ethical life it is hard not to revere this man. 
I only hope that some listen. He spoke to Congress, he addressed the UN, he broke bread with the poor and homeless, he prayed for our 9/11 martyrs, and preached to his faithful.  Politicians do those same sorts of things.  But this man is different. I just know that he is.


I hope (and pray) he makes a difference. Our world needs that desperately. 

Jeff—Saturday

17 comments:

  1. The more things change, Jeff, the more they seem to stay the same.

    I just wonder how much this abortive election re-run cost a country that can ill afford it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the Greek Ministry of the Interior, the direct out of pocket costs were 33.2 million euros.

      Delete
    2. And that's not the kind of change you find down the back of the sofa ...

      Delete
    3. More likely in Swiss Bank Accounts...if the Greek government ever gets around to looking.

      Delete
  2. perfect, Jeff. How fortunate that you observe and recount these moments with so much poignant hope and understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shrew, but I wish I knew how to do that on command. Some situations just move me.

      Delete
  3. Jeff, I could not agree more. I, like many, formerly Catholic atheist admire what him greatly. Before my first coffee this morning, I found myself in "conversation" on Facebook with a friend of a friend who compared Pope Francis with the Taliban and called him a hypocrite because he has not abolished from Catholic belief that this non-Catholic commentator thinks the Pope must say because he, a teacher of English in France, believes them.
    The thing about Francis for me is that he is changing the conversation in a positive direction and doing it gently, quietly, sincerely. We don't have to agree with everything he says to know that he is making a difference. Susan Spann and I once held forth here about why the priests in our novels are Jesuits. If a Pope was ever going to be as challenging to the Church's past as Francis is, it would be a Jesuit. Francis is the first of his order to become Pope! Hooray for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having attended a Jesuit university I understand your point perfectly. I also appreciate this miracle Pope Francis achieved, Sis, at serving as the humble means of getting you to say you "could not agree [with me] more." :))

      Delete
  4. If Only more people agreed with you. I live in a very hispanic town, and all I had to do was to mention the Pope, and I got an enthusiastic "Papa Francisco!" We so badly need a positive loving man in this position.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We so need a positive loving leader in many positions! But you're right, Lil, this is a good place to start.

      Delete
  5. While not Catholic, with my Dad dropping his family's religion at age 15, and being influenced by my secular, but very Jewish mother, I can say that the pope is bringing messages that need to be said and heard -- on respect and rights for immigrants, compassion and caring for poor people and on the need to save the planet and stop global warming/climate change and strive to end environmental injustice to poor countries and peoples. He has also denounced greed, a needed
    message.
    Altogether, a good message all in all.
    I won't comment on the issues that are very galling, including the lack of respect for women's rights within and outside the church -- and also no change in basic doctrine in many issues. I'd like to see progress on that.
    But for the messages of peace, caring, humanity, yes, good.
    But we in the States will go back this week to the shenanigans in Congress, fighting over the budget and paying for health care, among other things and the election craziness. It's wild here. One wants to run away from the TV news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're sitting down, Kathy, because I think I can safely say I agree with everything you wrote! :)

      Delete
  6. Well, Jeff, I was measured! Not full-out Op-Ed here.

    I read Maureen Dowd's piece in the NY Times today on the Pope's visit and I agree with her mostly.

    There are still major issues on the table with the Vatican, but I'll not mention them here in the spirit of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL.

      The Pope seems to have acted on the sex-abuse issue according to news reports this morning, but as you say, there are still major issues on the table. We shall see.

      Delete
  7. The organization of Adult Survivors of Sexual Abuse by Priests was quoted in the NY Times last week as saying the Vatican has not done nearly enough -- and enumerated what they want to see the Pope do. I think their issues are very reasonable given what these people have gone through.

    ReplyDelete