Thursday, February 5, 2015

What do you think?

I am in the bush at the moment and was in process of putting together a blog about the sounds I hear every morning when I wake up.  Then I read a news report about a man whose name is Eugene de Kock, known widely as Prime Evil.

He was serving a 212-year prison sentence - until a few days ago, when he was granted parole.

My initial reaction was disgust.  Everything about De Kock and his crimes is sickening.  Let me explain.

Apparently he was a quiet boy, who loved music.  He was “not a violent person” said his brother, Vossie.  Yeah, yeah!

After school he tried to join the South African military a couple of times, but was rejected for various physical reasons – a stutter on one occasion, and poor eyesight on another.  Undaunted, he joined the South African Police and was involved in the Rhodesian Civil War, attempting to prevent incursions into South Africa by members of the black nationalist forces. 

In 1979, he co-founded an organisation called Koevoet, whose purpose was to prevent incursions into South West Africa (now Namibia), which South Africa administered, by members of the South West Africa Freedom Party, which was trying to gain self-determination for the country.  They were based in Angola.

This was also at the time South Africa was assisting the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) in the Angolan civil war.  South African forces were heavily involved in that conflict.

Koevoet rapidly gained a reputation for its brutal methods and high kill rate.

In 1983, De Kock joined a South African Police counter-insurgency group headquartered at a farm called Vlakplaas, near Pretoria.  In 1985, he was promoted to head the unit.  The purpose of the unit at Vlakplaas was to hunt down and kill opponents of apartheid - which he did most effectively.

Appearing before the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), after the government became democratic in 1994, he admitted to a large number of murders and other crimes and, per the charter of the commission, was pardoned. 


Eugene de Kock

Eugene de Kock at Truth and Reconciliation Commission


Eugene de Kock

However, the TRC’s charter was only to hear crimes with a political background.  So De Kock was then tried for eighty-nine crimes against humanity, including murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to murder, illegal possession of firearms, and sixty-three counts of fraud.  In 1996, he was convicted and sentenced to 212 years in jail.

Last Friday, he was paroled to very mixed reactions.  Justice Minister, Michael Masutha, said that it was time to bury the past.  He also said that De Kock would cooperate in finding the remains of many of his victims.  Others felt that his crimes had been so heinous that he should be kept inside for the full term of his sentence.

Notably, but not really surprising to those who know him, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, who led the TRC, said the release of De Kock represented a milestone on South Africa’s road to reconciliation and healing. 

My two heroes

“I pray that those whom he hurt,” Archbishop Tutu said, “those from whom he took loved ones, will find the power within them to forgive him. Forgiving is empowering for the forgiver and the forgiven – and for all the people around them.  But we can’t be glib about it; it’s not easy.

“De Kock deserves to be released on the basis that he has served a relatively lengthy term of imprisonment, he has apologised to and sought the forgiveness of many of his victims, and he has for some time given all the appearance (from what we have seen) of being ready for rehabilitation.

“As human beings we have unique capacities to reconcile, to forgive, to move on and to love again.  While many may not welcome De Kock back into society with open arms, the fact that we have allowed for his return is to our collective credit, as people and as a nation.”

I admire Bishop Tutu immensely and found myself challenged by his belief in forgiveness for De Kock.  Yet I have no doubt that the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was one of the most civilised events in history and was fundamental to the fact that South Africa survived an amazing transition.  On the other hand, De Kock was Evil personified.  I don’t believe in the death penalty, but a life in prison was tame compared to what he did to others.

So I find myself very conflicted by the parole.  Initially I was dead against it, but I am also moved by Bishop Tut’s reasoning and compassion.

So what do you, dear readers, think of the parole?  Where do you fall on the compassion index for crimes in extremis?

Stan – Thursday

PS.  I just came upon a report in Times Live, which suggests that the whole issue may not be over.  Apparently, De Kock was involved in starting two businesses while in prison, as well as serving as a director of several others started before he went to jail.

According to James Selfie of the opposition Democratic Alliance party, "You are not allowed to conduct any form of remunerated activity while serving a prison sentence.  You cannot go into business.”

Contravention of this could lead to a revocation of parole as happened in another famous case – that of the Waterkloof Four.

The Ministry of Justice is investigating!

12 comments:

  1. I admire the bishop's stance, but don't know if I would have the capacity to forgive that kind of carnage. Also, how does one start a business while in prison? It almost sounds as if I wanted to be a career criminal South Africa would be the place to go for opportunity. In prison or out doesn't seem to matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, believe the death penalty is wrong. However, I do believe that these kinds of crimes are deserving of life in prison WITHOUT parole or pardon. Those murdered cannot be brought back, and neither should be the murderer, reformed or not. If found innocent by later evidence, fine, but otherwise, don't just throw away or lose the key, melt the damn thing down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan (or Michael):

    Any thoughts on this exhibit of art friom Botswana, which is taking place in the Philadelphia area?

    Thanks,

    Peter
    =================================
    Detectives Beyond Borders
    "Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
    http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter: It looks as though all the paintings (or lithographs) are by Bushman (Khoi-San), probably from an art co-op, such as the Kuru Project, in the Ghanzi or D’kar areas of west Botswana. Some of the works are obviously very commercial - eg the Big Five - but if the purpose is to raise money, who cares. A lot of the other pieces are typically of Bushman style, which I like, although I don't fancy most of the pieces here. The one I do like is #8 of 18.

      Cheers,

      Stan

      Delete
    2. Fifth try:

      Stan, yes, most of the art is by San people, and one of the artists is a former auto mechanic from D;kar.

      Delete
    3. Peter, Michael and I will be visiting that area and the new settlement of New Xade in about 2 months.

      Delete
  4. The older I get the more I realize how many things in this world make so little sense to me. Perhaps it's differing frames of reference (Old Testament v. New Testament) or just a more humane view on crime and punishment. But then I see what ISIS did to the Jordanian pilot, and wonder what sort of punishment should fall upon those who committed that heinous act were any to be captured, tried, and convicted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get the more I realize how many things in this world make so little sense to me. Perhaps it's differing frames of reference (Old Testament v. New Testament) or just a more humane view on crime and punishment. But then I see what ISIS did to the Jordanian pilot, and wonder what sort of punishment should fall upon those who committed that heinous act were any to be captured, tried, and convicted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stan, as I read the facts of the case, I found myself thinking what a travesty it was to release him. But Tutu's words won me over. He calls us to a higher way. I am grateful the human race produces such thinking. But I was taught as a child to believe not only in redemption, but also in penance. Given his focus on business while in prison, it looks to me that de Kock is not truly sorry, or not sorry enough. Now if he had decided, instead of trying to make himself rich, to spend the rest of his days taking care of babies with AIDS, I would believe he was truly sorry for his heinous crimes. I can't help hoping that he goes back to jail.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a dilemma.

    I agree with you on the death penalty, was recently reminded of hos many thousands were executed by the apartheid government, and then the voice of reason took hold then the new ANC-led government abolished this heinous punishment when it took office.

    And it set up the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which was very mild in its punishments. However, as Nelson Mandela's character says in the wonderful movie, "invictus," when asked why he took the former apartheid security forces into his security detail, "I did it to prevent a civil war."

    The Commission may have been held for the same reasons.

    However, I don't believe in releasing someone who really acted like a Nazi henchman, killing people right and left, with no human morality. He does not seem repentant or concerned about those he killed or their loved ones.

    I don't think any Nazi war criminals should have ever been let out of jail. What is the imprisonment time for committing genocide? This guy belongs in that category.

    I respect Desmond Tutu a great deal and I understand how he feels. And I ultimately think it's up to the people of South Africa who were so oppressed under the apartheid regime. It's their choice, not mine. What do they think? People who lost loved ones or were tortured and/or imprisoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, some of the families of his victims have forgiven him, but I suspect very few such families have expressed their opinions publicly.

      Delete
  8. former apartheid security forces into his security detail, "I did it to prevent a civil war." what do you think

    ReplyDelete